The Withdrawal of the State from Economic Activity: An Austrian Capital Market Perspective
In this paper we investigate the success of recent privatization in Austria from a capital market perspective. The empirical analysis draws upon the concept of initial public offerings indexes to document the medium-run aftermarket performance of initial public offerings (IPOs). Due to certain peculiarities, governmental IPOs outperform non-governmental IPOs in terms of cumulative average returns. Among the approaches discussed, the theory of property rights, together with the economic theory of politics, appears to be particularly appealing in explaining this phenomenon. If market participants adjust their investment decisions accordingly, the superior performance of governmental IPOs must, however, be expected to vanish during later stages of a privatization program. The withdrawal of the state from the ownership of enterprises has repercussions on the expansion of existing private companies due to rising capital costs. Privatization programs thus temporarily inhibit the substitution of inside equity by outside equity in private companies.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://www.ihs.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Ritter, Jay R, 1991. " The Long-run Performance of Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 3-27, March.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Haefke, Christian & Helmenstein, Christian, 1995. "Forecasting Austrian IPOs: An Application of Linear and Neural Network Error-Correction Models," Economics Series 18, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Haefke, Christian & Helmenstein, Christian, 1996. "Neural Networks in the Capital Markets: An Application to Index Forecasting," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 9(1), pages 37-50, February.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971.
"Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972. "Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Niskanen, William A, 1975. "Bureaucrats and Politicians," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 617-43, December.
- John Vickers & George Yarrow, 1991. "Economic Perspectives on Privatization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(2), pages 111-132, Spring.
- Ritter, Jay R., 1987. "The costs of going public," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 269-281, December.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Rock, Kevin, 1986. "Why new issues are underpriced," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 187-212.
- William F. Sharpe, 1965. "Mutual Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 119.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ihs:ihsesp:19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.