Efficient estimation of conditional risk measures in a semiparametric GARCH model
This paper proposes efficient estimators of risk measures in a semiparametric GARCH model defined through moment constraints. Moment constraints are often used to identify and estimate the mean and variance parameters and are however discarded when estimating error quantiles. In order to prevent this efficiency loss in quantile estimation we propose a quantile estimator based on inverting an empirical likelihood weighted distribution estimator. It is found that the new quantile estimator is uniformly more efficient than the simple empirical quantile and a quantile estimator based on normalized residuals. At the same time, the efficiency gain in error quantile estimation hinges on the efficiency of estimators of the variance parameters. We show that the same conclusion applies to the estimation of conditional Expected Shortfall. Our comparison also leads to interesting implications of residual bootstrap for dynamic models. We find that these proposed estimators for conditional Value-at-Risk and expected shortfall are asymptotically mixed normal. This asymptotic theory can be used to construct confidence bands for these estimators by taking account of parameter uncertainty. Simulation evidence as well as empirical results are provided.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://cemmap.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Linton, Oliver, 1993.
"Adaptive Estimation in ARCH Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 539-569, August.
- O. Scaillet, 2004. "Nonparametric Estimation and Sensitivity Analysis of Expected Shortfall," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 115-129.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 2006. "Estimation and model selection of semiparametric copula-based multivariate dynamic models under copula misspecification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 125-154.
- Hang Chan, Ngai & Deng, Shi-Jie & Peng, Liang & Xia, Zhendong, 2007. "Interval estimation of value-at-risk based on GARCH models with heavy-tailed innovations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 556-576, April.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J. & Werker, B.J.M., 1994.
"Adaptive estimation in time-series models,"
1994-88, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Keith Kuester & Stefan Mittnik & Marc S. Paolella, 2006. "Value-at-Risk Prediction: A Comparison of Alternative Strategies," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(1), pages 53-89.
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1986. "Asymptotic Theory for ARCH Models: Estimation and Testing," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 107-131, April.
- Komunjer, Ivana, 2002.
"Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimation for Conditional Quantiles,"
1139, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Komunjer, Ivana, 2005. "Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation for conditional quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 137-164, September.
- Drost, Feike C. & Klaassen, Chris A. J., 1997.
"Efficient estimation in semiparametric GARCH models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 193-221, November.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J., 1996. "Efficient Estimation in Semiparametric GARCH Models," Discussion Paper 1996-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Song Xi Chen, 2008. "Nonparametric Estimation of Expected Shortfall," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 6(1), pages 87-107, Winter.
- Anton Schick & Wolfgang Wefelmeyer, 2002. "Estimating the Innovation Distribution in Nonlinear Autoregressive Models," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 54(2), pages 245-260, June.
- Lee, Sang-Won & Hansen, Bruce E., 1994. "Asymptotic Theory for the Garch(1,1) Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimator," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 29-52, March.
- Chunrong Ai & Xiaohong Chen, 2003. "Efficient Estimation of Models with Conditional Moment Restrictions Containing Unknown Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1795-1843, November.
- Engle, Robert, 2001. "Financial econometrics - A new discipline with new methods," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 53-56, January.
- Song Xi Chen, 2005. "Nonparametric Inference of Value-at-Risk for Dependent Financial Returns," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(2), pages 227-255.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001. "On Adaptive Estimation in Nonstationary ARMA Models with GARCH Errors," ISER Discussion Paper 0548, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:cemmap:25/12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benita Rajania)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.