Semi-parametric models for satisfaction with income
An overview is presented of some parametric and semi-parametric models, estimators, and specification tests that can be used to analyze ordered response variables. In particular, limited dependent variable models that generalize ordered probit are compared to regression models that generalize the linear model. These techniques are then applied to analyze how self-reported satisfaction with household income relates to household income, family composition, and other background variables. Data are drawn from the 1998 wave of the German Socio- Economic Panel. The results are used to estimate equivalence scales and the cost of children. We find that the standard ordered probit model is rejected, while some semi-parametric specifications survive specification tests against nonparametric alternatives. The estimated equivalence scales, however, are often similar for the parametric and semi-parametric specifications.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://cemmap.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H rdle, Wolfgang & Huet, Sylvie & Mammen, Enno & Sperlich, Stefan, 2004.
"Bootstrap Inference In Semiparametric Generalized Additive Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 265-300, April.
- Härdle, Wolfgang & Huet, Sylvie & Mammen, Enno & Sperlich, Stefan, 2001. "Bootstrap Inference in Semiparametric Generalized Additive Models," Finance Working Papers 01-3, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Kapteyn, Arie, 1994.
"The Measurement of Household Cost Functions: Revealed Preference versus Subjective Measures,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 333-50, November.
- Kapteyn, A.J., 1994. "The measurement of household cost functions : Revealed preference versus subjective measures," Discussion Paper 1994-3, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Powell, James L & Stock, James H & Stoker, Thomas M, 1989. "Semiparametric Estimation of Index Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1403-30, November.
- de Vos, Klaas & Zaidi, M Asghar, 1997. "Equivalence Scale Sensitivity of Poverty Statistics for the Member States of the European Community," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 43(3), pages 319-33, September.
- Dustmann, C. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1999.
"Parametric and Semiparametric Estimation in Models with Misclassified Categorical Dependent Variables,"
1999-51, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dustmann, Christian & van Soest, Arthur, 2000. "Parametric and Semiparametric Estimation in Models with Misclassified Categorical Dependent Variables," IZA Discussion Papers 218, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1993. "Semiparametric estimation of a work-trip mode choice model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 49-70, July.
- Chesher, Andrew & Irish, Margaret, 1987. "Residual analysis in the grouped and censored normal linear model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 33-61.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1989. "Household equivalence scales and welfare comparisons," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 377-391, August.
- Lee, M.J., 1990.
"Median Regression For Ordered Discrete Response,"
9-90-11, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Melenberg, B. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1996. "Measuring the costs of children : Parametric and semiparametric estimators," Other publications TiSEM 1227b8b2-0575-4b5d-9bac-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "A Smoothed Maximum Score Estimator for the Binary Response Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 505-31, May.
- Kapteyn, A.J. & Kooreman, P. & Willemse, R., 1987.
"Some methodological issues in the implementation of subjective poverty definitions,"
FEW 245, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Arie Kapteyn & Peter Kooreman & Rob Willemse, 1988. "Some Methodological Issues in the Implementation of Subjective Poverty Definitions," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 23(2), pages 222-242.
- Browning, Martin, 1992. "Children and Household Economic Behavior," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(3), pages 1434-75, September.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 2001. "Nonparametric Estimation of a Generalized Additive Model with an Unknown Link Function," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(2), pages 499-513, March.
- Melenberg, B. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1996.
"Parametric and semi-parametric modelling of vacation expenditures,"
Other publications TiSEM
14de3e83-71c1-4e9a-aa5e-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Melenberg, Bertrand & van Soest, Arthur, 1996. "Parametric and Semi-parametric Modelling of Vacation Expenditures," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 59-76, Jan.-Feb..
- Melenberg, B. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1991. "Parametric and semi-parametric modelling of vacation expenditures," Discussion Paper 1991-44, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Melenberg, B. & Van Soest, A., 1991. "Parametric and Semi-parametric Modelling of Vocation Expenditures," Papers 9144, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Nelson, Julie A, 1993. "Household Equivalence Scales: Theory versus Policy?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(3), pages 471-93, July.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
- Fan, Yanqin & Li, Qi, 1996. "Consistent Model Specification Tests: Omitted Variables and Semiparametric Functional Forms," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 865-90, July.
- van Praag, Bernard M. S., 1991. "Ordinal and cardinal utility : An integration of the two dimensions of the welfare concept," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1-2), pages 69-89, October.
- Roger W. Klein & Robert P. Sherman, 2002. "Shift Restrictions and Semiparametric Estimation in Ordered Response Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 663-691, March.
- Clark, Andrew E. & Oswald, Andrew J., 1996.
"Satisfaction and comparison income,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 359-381, September.
- Charlier, Erwin, 2002. "Equivalence Scales in an Intertemporal Setting with an Application to the Former West Germany," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(1), pages 99-126, March.
- Han, Aaron K., 1987. "Non-parametric analysis of a generalized regression model : The maximum rank correlation estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2-3), pages 303-316, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:cemmap:12/02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benita Rajania)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.