The Role of Switching Hub in Global Internet Traffic
In the recent decade, global backbone providers have emerged to link dispersed networks. Local networks obtain global connectivity through transit contracts with switching hubs. Using the Shapley value, the paper shows that the bargaining position of the local network depends upon the quality adjusted volume of net traffic, and that the rent to the hub depends on the volume of traffic between local networks. When there are two competing switching hubs, the larger hub can appropriate most of the rent. Anticipating this, the hubs tend to expand their capacity to preempt the market like in the prisoners¡¯ dilemma.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1-5-Ga, Anam-dong, Sung buk-ku, Seoul, 136-701|
Fax: (82-2) 928-4948
Web page: http://econ.korea.ac.kr/~ri
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Marcus, Scott & Rey, Patrick & Tirole, Jean, 2003.
" Internet Interconnection and the Off-Net-Cost Pricing Principle,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 370-390, Summer.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont, 2001. "Internet Interconnection and the Off-Net-Cost Pricing Principle," Theory workshop papers 357966000000000085, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Marcus, Scott & Rey, Patrick & Tirole, Jean, 2001. "Internet Interconnection and the Off-Net-Cost Pricing Principle," IDEI Working Papers 130, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Gul, Faruk, 1989. "Bargaining Foundations of Shapley Value," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(1), pages 81-95, January.
- Stanley Besen, 2001. "Advances in Routing Technologies and Internet Peering Agreements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 292-296, May.
- Hart, Sergiu & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1996. "Bargaining and Value," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 357-380, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iek:wpaper:0507. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kim, Jisoo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.