Nonparametric Analysis of Hedge Funds Lifetimes
Most of hedge funds databases are now keeping history of dead funds in order to control biases in empirical analysis. It is then possible to use these data for the analysis of hedge funds lifetimes and survivorship. This paper proposes two nonparametric specifications of duration models. First, the single risk model is an alternative to parametric duration models used in the literature. Second, the competing risks model consider the two reasons why hedge funds stop reporting. We apply the two models to hedge funds data and compare our results to the literature. In particular, we show that a cohort effect must be considered. Moreover, the reason of the exit is a crucial information for the analysis of funds' survival as for a large part of disappearing funds, exit cannot be explained by low performance or low level of assets.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darryll Hendricks & Jayendu Patel & Richard Zeckhauser, 1997. "The J-Shape Of Performance Persistence Given Survivorship Bias," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 161-166, May.
- Lunde, Asger & Timmermann, Allan & Blake, David, 1998.
"The Hazards of Mutual Fund Underperformance: A Cox Regression Analysis,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt1pd3z1hm, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Lunde, Asger & Timmermann, Allan & Blake, David, 1999. "The hazards of mutual fund underperformance: A Cox regression analysis," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 121-152, April.
- Allan Timmermann & Asger Lunde, 1998. "The Hazards of Mutual Fund Underperformance: A Cox Regression Analysis," FMG Discussion Papers dp302, Financial Markets Group.
- Fabien Couderc, 2005. "Understanding Default Risk Through Nonparametric Intensity Estimation," FAME Research Paper Series rp141, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Pojarliev, Momtchil & Levich, Richard M., 2010.
"Trades of the living dead: Style differences, style persistence and performance of currency fund managers,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1752-1775, December.
- Momtchil Pojarliev & Richard M. Levich, 2008. "Trades of the Living Dead: Style Differences, Style Persistence and Performance of Currency Fund Managers," NBER Working Papers 14355, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A., 2000. "Performance Characteristics of Hedge Funds and Commodity Funds: Natural vs. Spurious Biases," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(03), pages 291-307, September.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355.
- Liang, Bing, 2000. "Hedge Funds: The Living and the Dead," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(03), pages 309-326, September.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2003. "The Nonparametric Identification of Treatment Effects in Duration Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1491-1517, 09.
- Gaurav S. Amin & Harry M. Kat, 2001. "Welcome to the Dark Side - Hedge Fund Attrition and Survivorship Bias over the period 1994-2001," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2002-02, Henley Business School, Reading University, revised Jan 2002.
- Brown, Stephen J & Goetzmann, William N & Ibbotson, Roger G, 1999. "Offshore Hedge Funds: Survival and Performance, 1989-95," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(1), pages 91-117, January.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006.
"Density Estimation, from Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice
[Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Stephen J. Brown, 2001. "Careers and Survival: Competition and Risk in the Hedge Fund and CTA Industry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(5), pages 1869-1886, October.
- Carl Ackermann & Richard McEnally & David Ravenscraft, 1999. "The Performance of Hedge Funds: Risk, Return, and Incentives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 833-874, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:22804. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.