Nonparametric Beta Kernel Estimator for Long Memory Time Series
The paper introduces a new nonparametric estimator of the spectral density that is given in smoothing the periodogram by the probability density of Beta random variable (Beta kernel). The estimator is proved to be bounded for short memory data, and diverges at the origin for long memory data. The convergence in probability of the relative error and Monte Carlo simulations suggest that the estimator automaticaly adapts to the long- or the short-range dependency of the process. A cross-validation procedure is also studied in order to select the nuisance parameter of the estimator. Illustrations on historical as well as most recent returns and absolute returns of the S&P500 index show the reasonable performance of the estimation, and show that the data-driven estimator is a valuable tool for the detection of long-memory as well as hidden periodicities in stock returns.
|Date of creation:||11 Sep 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lobato, Ignacio N & Savin, N E, 1998.
"Real and Spurious Long-Memory Properties of Stock-Market Data,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 261-268, July.
- Lobato, I.N. & Savin, N.E., 1996. "Real and Spurious Long Memory Properties of Stock Market Data," Working Papers 96-07, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- I.N. Lobato & N.E. Savin, 1996. "Real and Spurious Long Memory Properties of Stock Market Data," Econometrics 9605004, EconWPA, revised 26 Sep 1996.
- Winfried Pohlmeier & Luc Bauwens & David Veredas, 2007. "High frequency financial econometrics. Recent developments," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136223, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Yixiao Sun, 2004. "Adaptive Local Polynomial Whittle Estimation of Long-range Dependence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 569-614, March.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Yixiao Sun, 2002. "Adaptive Local Polynomial Whittle Estimation of Long-range Dependence," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1384, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- ANDREWS, DONALD W & Sun, Yixiao X, 2002. "Adaptive Local Polynomial Whittle Estimation of Long-Range Dependence," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt9wt048tt, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Lobato, Ignacio N & Savin, N E, 1998. "Real and Spurious Long-Memory Properties of Stock-Market Data: Reply," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 280-283, July.
- Ignacio N. Lobato & Peter M. Robinson, 1998. "A Nonparametric Test for I(0)," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(3), pages 475-495. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:22191. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.