Peruvian Privatization: Impacts On Firm Performance
In the nearly ten years since Peru privatized major State Owned Enterprises (SOEs), the overall impact of the process is not yet clear. This paper analyzes the impact of privatization through a detailed statistical and econometric analysis of first difference (the difference between pre- and post-privatization performance), and second difference (change in performance of privatized firms relative to the change in performance of SOEs) of several indicators on profitability, operating efficiency, employment, leverage and convergence. The results, which showed that privately owned firms are more efficient and more profitable than otherwise comparable state owned firms, were consistent with previous literature. In the case of the most competitive sector, the financial system, the newly privatized banks converged towards the leading private banks over time. While the impact of privatization on employment is negative in the short-run, there are more positive impacts in the long term, especially since SOEs traditionally hire employees for political rather than technical reasons. This paper demonstrates that, as the result of privatization, there is a significant increase in indirect employment through services and significant growth of total employment—both direct and indirect.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno Crépon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998.
"Research, Innovation and Productivity : An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level,"
98-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation And Productivity: An Econometric Analysis At The Firm Level," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 115-158.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation, and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 6696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"State versus Private Ownership,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 133-150, Fall.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "State Versus Private Ownership," NBER Working Papers 6665, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "State Versus Private Ownership," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1841, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Barber, Brad M. & Lyon, John D., 1996. "Detecting abnormal operating performance: The empirical power and specification of test statistics," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 359-399, July.
- Heckman, J.J. & Hotz, V.J., 1988.
"Choosing Among Alternative Nonexperimental Methods For Estimating The Impact Of Social Programs: The Case Of Manpower Training,"
University of Chicago - Economics Research Center
88-12, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- James J. Heckman, 1989. "Choosing Among Alternative Nonexperimental Methods for Estimating the Impact of Social Programs: The Case of Manpower Training," NBER Working Papers 2861, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. Chong & C. Calderón, 2000. "Causality and Feedback Between Institutional Measures and Economic Growth," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 69-81, 03.
- Shapiro, C. & Willing, D.R., 1990. "Economic Rationales For The Scope Of Privatization," Papers 41, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Kikeri, Sunita & Nellis, John & Shirley, Mary, 1994. "Privatization: Lessons from Market Economies," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 9(2), pages 241-72, July.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio López-de-Silanes, 1997.
"The Benefits of Privatization : Evidence from Mexico,"
World Bank Other Operational Studies
11583, The World Bank.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio López-de-Silanes, 1999. "The Benefits of Privatization: Evidence from Mexico," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1193-1242.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane, 1997. "The Benefits of Privatization: Evidence from Mexico," NBER Working Papers 6215, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1992.
"Privatization in East Germany,"
Public Finance = Finances publiques,
, vol. 47(Supplemen), pages 152-71.
- Eckel, Catherine & Eckel, Doug & Singal, Vijay, 1997. "Privatization and efficiency: Industry effects of the sale of British Airways," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 275-298, February.
- Megginson, William L & Nash, Robert C & van Randenborgh, Matthias, 1994. " The Financial and Operating Performance of Newly Privatized Firms: An International Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 403-452, June.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743, March.
- Bee Yan Aw & Xiaomin Chen & Mark J. Roberts, 1997. "Firm-level Evidence on Productivity Differentials, Turnover, and Exports in Taiwanese Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 6235, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torero, Maximo & Pasco-Font, Alberto, 2001.
"The Social Impact of Privatization and the Regulation of Utilities in Peru,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- MÃ¡ximo Torero & Alberto PascÃ³-Font, 2003. "The social impact of privatization and the regulation of utilities in Peru," Chapters, in: Utility Privatization and Regulation, chapter 11 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Narjess Boubakri & Jean-Claude Cosset, 1998. "The Financial and Operating Performance of Newly Privatized Firms: Evidence from Developing Countries," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 1081-1110, 06.
- Jaime Saavedra-Chanduví & Máximo Torero, 2000.
"Labor Market Reforms and Their Impact on Formal Labor Demand and Job Market Turnover: The Case of Peru,"
Research Department Publications
3095, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Jaime Saavedra-Chanduví & Máximo Torero, 2000. "Labor Market Reforms and Their Impact on Formal Labor Demand and Job Market Turnover: The Case of Peru," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 43058, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Boardman, Anthony E & Vining, Aidan R, 1989. "Ownership and Performance in Competitive Environments: A Comparison of the Performance of Private, Mixed, and State-Owned Enterprises," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(1), pages 1-33, April.
- repec:crs:wpaper:9833 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bernard Caillaud & Patrick Rey & Roger Guesnerie & Jean Tirole, 1987.
"Government Intervention in Production and Incentives Theory: A Review of Recent Contributions,"
472, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- B. Caillaud & R. Guesnerie & P. Rey & J. Tirole, 1988. "Government Intervention in Production and Incentives Theory: A Review of Recent Contributions," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(1), pages 1-26, Spring.
- Caves, Richard E., 1990. "Lessons from privatization in Britain : State enterprise behavior, public choice, and corporate governance," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 145-169, March.
- Bernardo Bortolotti & Domenico Siniscalco & Marcella Fantini, 2000. "Privatisation and Institutions: A Cross Country Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 375, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jeffry M. Netter & William L. Megginson, 2001. "From State to Market: A Survey of Empirical Studies on Privatization," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 321-389, June.
- Bee Yan Aw & Sukkyun Chung & Mark J. Roberts, 1998. "Productivity and the Decision to Export: Micro Evidence from Taiwan and South Korea," NBER Working Papers 6558, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James J. Heckman & Jeffrey A. Smith, 1995. "Assessing the Case for Social Experiments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 85-110, Spring.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1994. "Politicians and Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(4), pages 995-1025.
- Heckman, James J. & Lalonde, Robert J. & Smith, Jeffrey A., 1999. "The economics and econometrics of active labor market programs," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1865-2097 Elsevier.
- Vining, Aidan R & Boardman, Anthony E, 1992. "Ownership versus Competition: Efficiency in Public Enterprise," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 73(2), pages 205-39, March.
- Juliet D'souza & William L. Megginson, 1999. "The Financial and Operating Performance of Privatized Firms during the 1990s," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(4), pages 1397-1438, 08.
- G. A. Mackenzie, 1998. "The Macroeconomic Impact of Privatization," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(2), pages 363-373, June.
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra E. Todd, 1997. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator: Evidence from Evaluating a Job Training Programme," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(4), pages 605-654.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:3173. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.