Swinging since the 60's: Fluctuations in UK Saving and Lessons for Latin America
In the last three decades, gross national saving in the UK has fluctuated widely. Swings in components of national savings have of course been even more marked, since there are sound economic reasons to expect changes in one component (e. g. , private saving) to be at least partially offset by changes in another (e. g. , public saving). Moreover, since the start of the 1980s, national savings behaviour is characterised not merely by fluctuations but by trend decline, the recent upturn notwithstanding. In this paper we explore changes in UK saving and its components, examine theoretical and empirical explanations, discuss implications for policy design, and draw lessons for Latin America.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miles, David K, 1993. "House Prices, Personal Sector Wealth and Consumption: Some Conceptual and Empirical Issues," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 61(0), pages 35-59, Suppl..
- James Banks & Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith & Arthur van Soest, 2004.
"International Comparisons of Work Disability,"
155, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Banks, James & Kapteyn, Arie & Smith, James P. & van Soest, Arthur, 2004. "International Comparisons of Work Disability," IZA Discussion Papers 1118, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Banks, J. & Kapteyn, A. & Smith, J.P. & van Soest, A.H.O., 2004. "International Comparisons of Work Disability," Discussion Paper 2004-36, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 1989.
"Consumption and Capital Market Imperfections: An International Comparison,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1088-1105, December.
- Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 1988. "Consumption and Capital Market Imperfection: An International Comparison," CEPR Discussion Papers 244, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 1992.
"Saving, Growth and Liquidity Constraints,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
662, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthew D. Shapiro & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1984.
"Trends, Random Walks, and Tests of the Permanent Income Hypothesis,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
725, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Gregory Mankiw, N. & Shapiro, Matthew D., 1985. "Trends, random walks, and tests of the permanent income hypothesis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 165-174, September.
- Artis, Michael J & Taylor, Mark P, 1989. "Abolishing Exchange Control: The UK Experience," CEPR Discussion Papers 294, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Church, Keith B & Smith, Peter N & Wallis, Kenneth F, 1994. "Econometric Evaluation of Consumers' Expenditure Equations," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 71-85, Summer.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Scott, Andrew, 1994.
"Consumer Confidence and Rational Expectations: Are Agents' Beliefs Consistent with the Theory?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(422), pages 1-19, January.
- Daron Acemoglu & Andrew Scott, 1993. "Consumer Confidence and Rational Expectations: Are Agents Beliefs Consistent with the Theory?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0119, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Tamim Bayoumi, 1992.
"Financial Deregulation and Household Saving,"
Bank of England working papers
5, Bank of England.
- P J Forsyth & J A Kay, 1980. "The economic implications of North Sea Oil Revenues," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 1(3), pages 1-28, July.
- Davidson, James E H, et al, 1978. "Econometric Modelling of the Aggregate Time-Series Relationship between Consumers' Expenditure and Income in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 661-92, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:3032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.