The performance of auction houses selling Picasso Prints
It has been observed that similar prints can obtain quite different prices at different auctions within the same auction period. Previous works applying hedonic price technique to determine the formation of auction prices of objects of art have found no conclusive result about the impact of auction houses on final prices. In these studies the object of art has been the unit, and influence of auction houses is analysed by testing whether auction house impact on price is significant or not within a framework of central tendencies. In order to focus on auction houses as a unit we have applied a benchmarking technique, DEA, developed for efficiency studies. Performance indexes are defined and calculated giving an insight into auction house differences difficult to obtain using hedonic price approach.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Unione Sovietica, 218bis - 10134 Torino - Italy|
Phone: +39 011 6706060
Fax: +39 011 6706062
Web page: http://www.esomas.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chanel, O. & Gérard-Varet, L.-A. & Ginsburgh, V., "undated".
"The relevance of hedonic price indices,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1222, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Finn R. Førsund & Roberto Zanola, 2001. "Selling Picasso paintings: the efficiency of auction houses," ICER Working Papers 07-2001, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
- Anderson, Robert C, 1974. "Paintings as an Investment," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(1), pages 13-26, March.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Richard C. Morey, 1986. "The Use of Categorical Variables in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(12), pages 1613-1627, December.
- G. Candela & A. Scorcu, 1997. "A Price Index for Art Market Auctions," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer;The Association for Cultural Economics International, vol. 21(3), pages 175-196, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icr:wpicer:30-2002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.