Factor Shares and Income Inequality - Empirical Evidence from Germany 2002-2008
We examine the interplay between changes in the functional distribution of income and the distribution of market income among households. We use micro data from the German Socio-Economic Panel as well as macro data from the German Federal Statistical Office from 2002 to 2008. We categorize and evaluate the implications of changes in the functional distribution of income upon the distribution of income among individuals on the basis of a simple theoretic framework that links the degree of the concentration of income from asset flows among individuals to the (structural) relationship between individuals' levels of market income and their respective income shares from asset flows. Our empirical analysis offers two insights: First, the relative rise of income from asset flows reported by German National Accounting Statistics is also evident in the micro data taken from the German Socio-Economic Panel. Second, rising capital income shares are associated with an increasing concentration of market income.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ob dem Himmelreich 1, D-72074 Tübingen|
Phone: (+49) 7071 98 96 -0
Fax: (+49) 7071 98 96 -99
Web page: http://www.iaw.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodrik, Dani, 2007.
"How to Save Globalization from its Cheerleaders,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6494, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2007. "How to Save Globalization from Its Cheerleaders," Working Paper Series rwp07-038, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Ryan, Paul, 1996. "Factor Shares and Inequality in the UK," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 106-126, Spring.
- Gustav A. Horn & Heike Joebges & Torsten Niechoj & Christian R. Proaño & Simon Sturn & Silke Tober & Achim Truger & Till van Treeck, 2009. "Von der Finanzkrise zur Weltwirtschaftskrise (I)," IMK Report 38-2009, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Gustav A. Horn & Katharina Dröge & Simon Sturn & Till van Treeck & Rudolf Zwiener, 2009. "Von der Finanzkrise zur Weltwirtschaftskrise (III)," IMK Report 41-2009, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Gustav A. Horn & Heike Joebges & Rudolf Zwiener, 2009. "Von der Finanzkrise zur Weltwirtschaftskrise (II)," IMK Report 40-2009, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Markus M. Grabka, 2010. "Codebook for the $PEQUIV File 1984-2009: CNEF Variables with Extended Income Information for the SOEP," Data Documentation 49, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)