Advantages of Cognitive Limitations
Being a product of evolutionary pressures, it would not be surprising to find that what seems to be a limitation of the cognitive system is actually a fine-tuned compromise between a set of competing needs. This thesis is demonstrated using the case of the limited capacity of short-term memory, which is often regarded as the prime example of a cognitive limitation.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Hammerstein, P. and J. R. Stevens, eds. 2012. Evolution and the Mechanisms of Decision Making. Strungmann Forum Reports, vol. 11. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press (due out October, 2012).|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Feldman Building - Givat Ram - 91904 Jerusalem|
Web page: http://www.ratio.huji.ac.il/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schlag, Karl H., 1999.
"Which one should I imitate?,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 493-522, May.
- Schlag, Karl H., 1996. "Which one should I imitate?," Discussion Paper Serie B 365, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Antonio Morales, 2003. "Absolutely expedient imitative behavior," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 31(4), pages 475-492, 09.
- Reinhard Selten & Thorsten Chmura, 2008. "Stationary Concepts for Experimental 2x2-Games," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 938-966, June.
- Reinhard Selten & Thorsten Chmura, 2005. "Stationary Concepts for Experimental 2x2 Games," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse33_2005, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Sandholm, William H., 1998. "Simple and clever decision rules for a model of evolution," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 165-170, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:huj:dispap:dp611. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tomer Siedner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.