Determinants of Child Labor and School Attendance: The Role of Household Unobservables
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Kaushik Basu, 1999.
"Child Labor: Cause, Consequence, and Cure, with Remarks on International Labor Standards,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1083-1119, September.
- Basu, Kaushik, 1998. "Child labor : cause, consequence, and cure, with remarks on International Labor Standards," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2027, The World Bank.
- Sin, Chor-Yiu & White, Halbert, 1996. "Information criteria for selecting possibly misspecified parametric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 207-225.
- Ranjan, Priya, 2001.
"Credit constraints and the phenomenon of child labor,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 81-102, February.
- Ranjan, P., 1999. ""Credit Constraints and the Phenomenon of Child Labor"," Papers 98-99-12, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Browning, Martin & Francois Bourguignon & Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Valerie Lechene, 1994.
"Income and Outcomes: A Structural Model of Intrahousehold Allocation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1067-1096, December.
- Browning, M. & Bourguignon, F. & Chiappori, P.A. & Lechene, V., 1992. "Incomes and Outcomes: A structural Model of Intra-Household Allocation," DELTA Working Papers 92-23, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Lee, Lung-fei, 2000.
"A numerically stable quadrature procedure for the one-factor random-component discrete choice model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 117-129, March.
- Lung-fei Lee, "undated". "A Numerically Stable Quadrature Procedure for the One-Factor Random Component Discrete Choice Model," Computing in Economics and Finance 1997 158, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jain, Dipak C & Vilcassim, Naufel J & Chintagunta, Pradeep K, 1994. "A Random-Coefficients Logit Brand-Choice Model Applied to Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 317-328, July.
- Jean-Marie Baland & James A. Robinson, 2000. "Is Child Labor Inefficient?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(4), pages 663-679, August.
- Deb, Partha & Trivedi, Pravin K., 2002. "The structure of demand for health care: latent class versus two-part models," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 601-625, July.
- Ranjan Ray, 2000.
"Analysis of child labour in Peru and Pakistan: A comparative study,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 13(1), pages 3-19.
- Ray, R., 1998. "Analysis of Child Labour in Peru and Pakistan: a Comparative Study," Papers 1998-05, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
- Peter Jensen & Helena Skyt Nielsen, 1997.
"Child labour or school attendance? Evidence from Zambia,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 10(4), pages 407-424.
- Jensen, P. & Nielsen, H.S., 1996. "Child Labour or School Attendance? Evidence from Zambia," Papers 96-14, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- Borjas, George J. & Sueyoshi, Glenn T., 1994.
"A two-stage estimator for probit models with structural group effects,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 165-182.
- George J. Borjas & Glenn T. Sueyoshi, 1993. "A Two-Stage Estimator for Probit Models with Structural Group Effects," NBER Technical Working Papers 0146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel McFadden & Kenneth Train, 2000. "Mixed MNL models for discrete response," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 447-470.
- Butler, J S & Moffitt, Robert, 1982. "A Computationally Efficient Quadrature Procedure for the One-Factor Multinomial Probit Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 761-764, May.
- James J. Heckman, 2001. "Micro Data, Heterogeneity, and the Evaluation of Public Policy: Nobel Lecture," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(4), pages 673-748, August.
- Keane, Michael, 1993. "Simulation estimation for panel data models with limited dependent variables," MPRA Paper 53029, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Behrman, Jere R., 1993. "Intrahousehold distribution and the family," Handbook of Population and Family Economics,in: M. R. Rosenzweig & Stark, O. (ed.), Handbook of Population and Family Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 4, pages 125-187 Elsevier.
- Kim, Byung-Do & Blattberg, Robert C & Rossi, Peter E, 1995. "Modeling the Distribution of Price Sensitivity and Implications for Optimal Retail Pricing," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 291-303, July.
- FurioCamillo Rosati & Zafiris Tzannatos, 2006. "Child Labour In Vietnam," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 1-31, February.
- Ravallion, Martin & Wodon, Quentin, 2000.
"Does Child Labour Displace Schooling? Evidence on Behavioural Responses to an Enrollment Subsidy,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages 158-175, March.
- Ravallion, Martin*Wodon, Quentin, 1999. "Does child labor displace schooling? - evidence on behavioral responses to an enrollment subsidy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2116, The World Bank.
- Pudney, Stephen & Galassi, Francesco L & Mealli, Fabrizia, 1998. "An Econometric Model of Farm Tenures in Fifteenth-Century Florence," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 65(260), pages 535-556, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eric V. Edmonds, 2005.
"Does Child Labor Decline with Improving Economic Status?,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 40(1).
- Eric V. Edmonds, 2003. "Does Child Labor Decline with Improving Economic Status?," NBER Working Papers 10134, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rubiana Chamarbagwala & Rusty Tchernis, 2006. "The Role of Social Norms in Child Labor and Schooling in India," Caepr Working Papers 2006-016, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Lanzona, Leonardo & Aldaba, Fernando T. & Tamangan, Ronald J., 2006. "An Empirical Analysis on the Tradeoff between Schooling and Child Labor in the Philippines," Philippine Journal of Development PJD 2004 Vol. XXXI No. 2-, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Duprez, Cédric, 2007.
"Are Fair Trade Labels Effective Against Child Labour?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6259, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean Marie Baland & Cedric Duprez, 2008. "Are Fair Trade Labels Effective Against Child Labor?," Working Papers id:1559, eSocialSciences.
- Jayanta Sarkar & Dipanwita Sarkar, 2016.
"Why Does Child Labor Persist With Declining Poverty?,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 54(1), pages 139-158, January.
- Jayanta Sarkar & Dipanwita Sarkar, 2012. "Why does child labour persist with declining poverty?," NCER Working Paper Series 84, National Centre for Econometric Research, revised 21 Nov 2012.
- Rubiana Chamarbagwala & Rusty Tchernis, 2010. "Exploring the spatial determinants of children’s activities: evidence from India," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 593-617, October.
- Papa Seck, 2005. "Do Parents Favor their Biological Offspring over Adopted Orphans? Theory and Evidence from Tanzania," Economics Working Paper Archive at Hunter College 409, Hunter College Department of Economics.
- Kulsoom, Rafia, 2007.
"Child Labor at District Level: A Case Study of Rawalpindi,"
17224, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kulsoom, Rafia, 2009. "Child Labor at District Level: A Case Study of Rawalpindi," MPRA Paper 19161, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2009.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Stefano Castriota & Melania Michetti, 2013.
"The effect of fair trade affiliation on child schooling: evidence from a sample of Chilean honey producers,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(25), pages 3552-3563, September.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Stefano Castriota & Melania Michetti, 2012. "The Effect of Fair Trade Affiliation on Child Schooling: Evidence from a Sample of Chilean Honey Producers," Working Papers 2012.56, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Carvalho, José Raimundo & Marinho, Emerson & Loria, Francesca, 2012. "Idleness, returns to education and child labor," Revista Brasileira de Economia - RBE, FGV/EPGE - Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 66(4), December.
- VERHEYDEN Bertrand & FAYE Ousmane, 2011. "Fertility and Child Occupation: Theory and Evidence from Senegal," LISER Working Paper Series 2011-59, LISER.
- Daniela Vuri, 2010. "The Effect of Availability of School and Distance to School on Children's Time Allocation in Ghana," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 24(s1), pages 46-75, December.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Tarbalouti, Essaid, 2012.
"Institutions éducation et travail des enfants
[Institutions education and child labor]," MPRA Paper 39384, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Goto, Hideaki, 2011. "Social norms, inequality and child labor," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 806-814.
- Mukherjee, Dipa, 2010. "Child workers in India: an overview of macro dimensions," MPRA Paper 35049, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2011.
- repec:fgv:epgrbe:v:66:n:4:a:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Baland, Jean-Marie & Duprez, Cédric, 2009. "Are labels effective against child labor?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(11-12), pages 1125-1130, December.
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:htr:hcecon:02/9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jonathan Conning). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/dhcunus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.