Regional Inequality and Industrial Structures in Pre-War Japan: An Analysis Based on New Prefectural GDP Estimates
Studies comparing regional income in Japan before and after World War II have frequently drawn a picture of radical change from an economy characterized by large regional disparities to one characterized by small regional disparities. This paper comes to a very different conclusion. Based on estimates of prefecture-level value added for five benchmark years from 1890 to 1940 (a detailed description of our estimation methodology is provided), we examine trends in the gap of economic development between prefectures during the pre-war period and find that this gap was much smaller than claimed in preceding studies and, in fact, not much greater than during the post-war period. Observing, moreover, a decline in inter-prefectural differences in terms of per-capita gross value added during the pre-war period, we conduct a factor analysis and find that a major reason for this decline was a decline in inter-prefectural differences in same-industry labor productivity. Thus, the picture of modern Japan's economic development presented here is very different from the one painted by preceding studies.
|Date of creation:||May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186|
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiaki Moriguchi & Emmanuel Saez, 2006. "The Evolution of Income Concentration in Japan, 1886-2002: Evidence from Income Tax Statistics," NBER Working Papers 12558, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kyoji Fukao & Osamu Saito, 2006. "Japan's alternating phases of growth and outlook for the future," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d06-196, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kyoji Fukao & Debin Ma & Tangjun Yuan, 2007.
"Real Gdp In Pre-War East Asia: A 1934-36 Benchmark Purchasing Power Parity Comparison With The U.S,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(3), pages 503-537, 09.
- Kyoji Fukao & Debin Ma & Tangjun Yuan, 2006. "Real GDP in Pre-War East Asia: A 1934-36 Benchmark Purchasing Power Parity Comparison with the U.S," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d05-132, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Nicholas Crafts, 2005.
"Regional Gdp In Britain, 1871-1911: Some Estimates,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 52(1), pages 54-64, 02.
- Nicholas Crafts, 2004. "Regional GDP in Britain, 1871-1911: some estimates," Economic History Working Papers 22557, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hst:ghsdps:gd10-138. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.