Asia's 'Little Divergence' in the 20th Century: Evidence from PPP-based direct estimates of GDP per capita, 1913-1969
This paper uses expenditure-based PPPs to create direct estimates of GDP per capita for 12 Asian countries in comparable prices for six benchmark years during 1913-1969. The paper finds that levels of real GDP per capita were in several countries comparable to those in Japan in 1913. GDP per capita of Japan and other Asian countries diverged during and after World War I. The paper questions whether Asia's 'little divergence' between Japan and other Asian countries dates back to the late-18th century. It draws attention to the different resource endowments of Japan, China and India compared to other Asian countries, and their implications for the development trajectories of Asian countries. The paper also demonstrates that using historical PPP estimates yields estimates of GDP per capita that diverge from those based on retropolations of the single 1990 PPP-converted benchmark year. It concludes that historical estimates of PPPs are needed to confirm analyses of comparative economic performance based on GDP per capita data.
|Date of creation:||31 May 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Faculty Building II, 2-1, Naka, Kunitachi, 186 - 8601|
Phone: (+81) 42 – 580 - 8604
Fax: (+81) 42 – 580 - 8605
Web page: http://hias.ad.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Broadberry, Stephen & Custodis, Johann & Gupta, Bishnupriya, 2015.
"India and the great divergence: An Anglo-Indian comparison of GDP per capita, 1600–1871,"
Explorations in Economic History,
Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 58-75.
- Broadberry, Stephen & Gupta, Bishnupriya, 2012. "India And The Great Divergence: An Anglo-Indian Comparison Of Gdp Per Capita, 1600-1871," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 81, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Broadberry, Stephen & Custodis, Johann & Gupta, Bishnupriya, 2015. "India and the great divergence: an Anglo-Indian comparison of GDP per capita, 1600–1871," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 56838, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Alexandra M. de Pleijt & Jan Luiten van Zanden, 2013. "Accounting for the ‘Little Divergence’ What drove economic growth in preindustrial Europe, 1300-1800?," Working Papers 0046, Utrecht University, Centre for Global Economic History.
- Alexandra M. de Pleijt & Jan Luiten van Zanden, 2016. "Accounting for the ‘Little Divergence’ What drove economic growth in pre-industrial Europe, 1300-1800?," Working Papers 0104, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Kravis, Irving B, 1984. "Comparative Studies of National Incomes and Prices," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 1-39, March.
- Roger Fouquet & Stephen Broadberry, 2015. "Seven Centuries of European Economic Growth and Decline," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 227-244, Fall.
- Fouquet, Roger & Broadberry, Stephen, 2015. "Seven centuries of European economic growth and decline," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 63626, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stephen Broadberry & Roger Fouquet, 2015. "Seven centuries of European economic growth and decline," GRI Working Papers 206, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Peter A. Petri, 2006. "Is East Asia becoming more interdependent?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jun.
- Petri, Peter A., 2006. "Is East Asia becoming more interdependent?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 381-394, June.
- Tuan-Hwee Sng & Chiaki Moriguchi, 2014. "Asia’s little divergence: state capacity in China and Japan before 1850," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 439-470, December.
- Sng, Tuan-Hwee & Moriguchi, Chiaki, 2014. "Asia's Little Divergence: State Capacity in China and Japan before 1850," PRIMCED Discussion Paper Series 58, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Sng, Tuan-Hwee & Moriguchi, Chiaki, 2014. "Asia’s Little Divergence: State Capacity in China and Japan before 1850," CEI Working Paper Series 2014-6, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Christian Murray & David Papell, 2005. "The purchasing power parity puzzle is worse than you think," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 783-790, October.
- Jutta Bolt & Jan Luiten Zanden, 2014. "The Maddison Project: collaborative research on historical national accounts," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 67(3), pages 627-651, August.
- Myung Soo Cha, 2015. "Unskilled wage gaps within the Japanese Empire," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 68(1), pages 23-47, February.
- Herman De Jong & Pieter Woltjer, 2011. "Depression dynamics: a new estimate of the Anglo‐American manufacturing productivity gap in the interwar period," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 64(2), pages 472-492, May.
- Kaoru Sugihara, 2007. "The Second Noel Butlin Lecture: Labour-Intensive Industrialisation In Global History," Australian Economic History Review, Economic History Society of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 47(2), pages 121-154, July.
- Kravis, Irving B & Heston, Alan W & Summers, Robert, 1978. "Real GDP per Capita for More Than One Hundred Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(350), pages 215-242, June.
- Ward, Marianne & Devereux, John, 2003. "Measuring British Decline: Direct Versus Long-Span Income Measures," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 63(03), pages 826-851, September.
- repec:oup:ereveh:v:20:y:2016:i:4:p:387-409. is not listed on IDEAS
- Pierre van der Eng, 2004. "Economic History of Asia: comparative perspectives," Australian Economic History Review, Economic History Society of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 44(3), pages 215-220, November.
- Pierre van der Eng, 2004. "Productivity and Comparative Advantage in Rice Agriculture in South-East Asia Since 1870 ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 18(4), pages 345-370, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:hiasdp:hias-e-28. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.