Reducing Vulnerability through Microfinance: Evidence from Indian Self Help Group Program
We investigate if participation in Indian Self Help Group microfinance program (SHG) results in reducing vulnerability. Vulnerability estimates are constructed using cross-sectional SHG rural household survey data, collected in 2003. The potential selection bias is eliminated by propensity score matching to estimate the average treatment on treated effect using nearest neighbour matching and local linear regression algorithm. We find that despite a disproportionately high percentage of poor in the SHG members, vulnerability is not significantly different between the SHG and non-SHG members. This result is found to be robust using sensitivity analysis and Rosenbaum bounds method.
|Date of creation:||10 Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 46 18 471 25 00
Fax: + 46 18 471 14 78
Web page: http://www.nek.uu.se/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Günther, Isabel & Harttgen, Kenneth, 2009. "Estimating Households Vulnerability to Idiosyncratic and Covariate Shocks: A Novel Method Applied in Madagascar," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 1222-1234, July.
- Felbruegge, Torsten & von Braun, Joachim, 2002. "Is The World Becoming A More Risky Place? Trends In Disasters And Vulnerability To Them," Discussion Papers 18730, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Ranjula Bali Swain & Maria Floro, 2008.
"Effect of Microfinance on Vulnerability, Poverty and Risk in Low Income Households,"
2008-02, American University, Department of Economics.
- Bali Swain, Ranjula & Floro, Maria, 2007. "Effect of Microfinance on Vulnerability, Poverty and Risk in Low Income Households," Working Paper Series 2007:31, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Bali Swain, Ranjula & Varghese, Adel, 2008.
"Does Self Help Group Participation Lead to Asset Creation?,"
Working Paper Series
2008:5, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Swain, Ranjula Bali & Varghese, Adel, 2009. "Does Self Help Group Participation Lead to Asset Creation?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 1674-1682, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:uunewp:2010_023. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarina Grönvall)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.