A Contractual Perspective on Succession in Family Firms
Abstract This paper analyses succession in family firms from a contractual perspective. A firm is regarded as a nexus of contractual relations with owners, employees, suppliers of goods and services and customers. These contractual parties are in differing degrees tied to the firm through asset specificities. Succession can affect the value of such assets. In this sense they become stakeholders with vested interests in the succession process. The theoretical discussion of affected stakeholders is backed up by a survey study of 143 Swedish family-owned businesses that have been subject to succession. The results show that the opinions of close shareholders such as family members and incumbent mangers as well as those of other stakeholders such as suppliers and customers are important.
|Date of creation:||14 Nov 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Ratio Institute, P.O. Box 5095, SE-102 42 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: 08-441 59 00
Fax: 08-441 59 29
Web page: http://www.ratio.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1988. " Corporate Finance and Corporate Governance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(3), pages 567-591, July.
- Per-Olof Bjuggren & Johanna Palmberg, 2009. "A Contractual Perspective of the Firm with an Application to the Maritime Industry," Chapters,in: The Modern Firm, Corporate Governance and Investment, chapter 4 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Per-Olof Bjuggren & Dennis C. Mueller, 2009. "Introduction: The Modern Firm, Corporate Governance and Investment," Chapters,in: The Modern Firm, Corporate Governance and Investment, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2000. "The New Institutional Economics: Taking Stock, Looking Ahead," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 595-613, September.
- Bjuggren, Per-Olof & Sund, Lars-Goran, 2002. "A Transaction Cost Rationale for Transition of the Firm within the Family," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 123-133, September.
- Bjuggren, Per-Olof, 1995. "A transaction cost perspective on financial distress and capital structure," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 395-404, December.
- Lars-Göran Sund & Per-Olof Bjuggren, 2007. "Family-owned, limited close corporations and protection of ownership," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 273-283, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ratioi:0181. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin Korpi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.