Globally Evolutionarily Stable Portfolio Rules
The paper examines a dynamic model of a financial market with endogenous asset prices determined by short run equilibrium of supply and demand. Assets pay dividends, that are partially consumed and partially reinvested. The traders use fixed-mix investment strategies (portfolio rules), distributing their wealth between assets in fixed proportions. Our main goal is to identify globally evolutionarily stable strategies, allowing an investor to “survive,” i.e., to accumulate in the long run a positive share of market wealth, regardless of the initial state of the market. It is shown that there is a unique portfolio rule with this property—an analogue of the famous Kelly (1956) rule of “betting one’s beliefs.”
|Date of creation:||22 Dec 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NHH, Department of Business and Management Science, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway|
Phone: +47 55 95 92 93
Fax: +47 55 95 96 50
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/en/research-faculty/department-of-business-and-management-science.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlos Alós-Ferrer & Ana B. Ania, 2003.
"The Asset Market Game,"
Vienna Economics Papers
0320, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Arthur, W.B. & LeBaron, B. & Palmer, R., 1997.
"Time Series Properties of an Artificial Stock Market,"
9725, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- LeBaron, Blake & Arthur, W. Brian & Palmer, Richard, 1999. "Time series properties of an artificial stock market," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(9-10), pages 1487-1516, September.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont, 1989. "The Economics of Uncertainty and Information," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121360, December.
- Igor V. Evstigneev & Thorsten Hens & Klaus Reiner Schenk-Hoppé, 2002.
"Market Selection Of Financial Trading Strategies: Global Stability,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 329-339.
- Igor V. Evstigneev & Thorsten Hens & Klaus Reiner Schenk-Hoppï¿½, . "Market Selection of Financial Trading Strategies: Global Stability," IEW - Working Papers 083, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- R Amir & I Evstigneev & T Hens & K R Schenk-Hoppé, 2002.
"Market Selection and Survival of Investment Strategies,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0215, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Amir, Rabah & Evstigneev, Igor V. & Hens, Thorsten & Schenk-Hoppe, Klaus Reiner, 2005. "Market selection and survival of investment strategies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 105-122, February.
- AMIR, Rabah & EVSTIGNEEV, Igor & HENS, Thorsten & SCHENK-HOPPÉ, Klaus Reiner, 2003. "Market selection and survival of investment strategies," CORE Discussion Papers 2003099, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rabah Amir & Igor V. Evstigneev & Thorsten Hens & Klaus Reiner Schenk-Hoppé, 2002. "Market Selection and Survival of Investment Strategies," Discussion Papers 02-16, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Rabah Amir & Igor V. Evstigneev & Thorsten Hens & Klaus Reiner Schenk-Hoppï¿½, . "Market Selection and Survival of Investment Strategies," IEW - Working Papers 091, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- W. Brian Arthur & John H. Holland & Blake LeBaron & Richard Palmer & Paul Taylor, 1996.
"Asset Pricing Under Endogenous Expectation in an Artificial Stock Market,"
96-12-093, Santa Fe Institute.
- Arthur, W.B. & Holland, J.H. & LeBaron, B. & Palmer, R. & Tayler, P., 1996. "Asset Pricing Under Endogenous Expectations in an Artificial Stock Market," Working papers 9625, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Igor Evstigneev & Thorsten Hens & Klaus Reiner Schenk-Hoppé, 2003.
"Evolutionary Stable Stock Markets,"
03-39, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, . "Isolation and Aggregation in Economics," Monographs in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics, number 3, December.
- Dempster, M. A. H. & Germano, M. & Medova, E. A. & Villaverde, M., 2003. "Global Asset Liability Management," British Actuarial Journal, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(01), pages 137-195, April.
- J. Doyne Farmer & Andrew W. Lo, 1999. "Frontiers of Finance: Evolution and Efficient Markets," Working Papers 99-06-039, Santa Fe Institute.
- Shapley, Lloyd S & Shubik, Martin, 1977. "Trade Using One Commodity as a Means of Payment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 937-68, October.
- Blume, Lawrence & Easley, David, 1992. "Evolution and market behavior," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 9-40, October.
- Armen A. Alchian, 1950. "Uncertainty, Evolution, and Economic Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58, pages 211.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:nhhfms:2005_017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stein Fossen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.