Liberalized Trade and Worker-Firm Matching
Recent theoretical analysis suggests that a reduction in the cost of exporting increases the degree of assortative matching between workers and firms in export-oriented industries. Changes that reduce the cost of imports have an ambiguous impact on matching. We combine detailed Swedish matched worker-firm data from 1995 – 2005 with tariff data to test these hypotheses. The data cover 94 sectors subject to international competition and includes all firms with at least 20 employees. Our findings strongly support the theoretical predictions.
|Date of creation:||30 Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Carl & Heyman, Fredrik & Matusz, Steven & Sjöholm, Fredrik & Chun Zhu, Susan, 2010.
"Globalization and Imperfect Labor Market Sorting,"
Working Paper Series
856, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Carl Davidson & Fredrik Heyman & Steven Matusz, & Fredrik Sjoholm & Susan Zhu, . "Globalization and Imperfect Labor Market Sorting," Discussion Papers 10/30, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Davidson, Carl & Heyman, Fredrik & Matusz, Steven & Sjöholm, Fredrik & Zhu, Susan Chun, 2011. "Globalization and Imperfect Labor Market Sorting," Working Papers 2011:25, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itshoki & Stephen Redding, 2009.
"Inequality and unemployment in a global economy,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
25501, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki & Stephen Redding, 2008. "Inequality and Unemployment in a Global Economy," NBER Working Papers 14478, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki & Stephen Redding, 2009. "Inequality and Unemployment in a Global Economy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0940, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Itskhoki, Oleg & Redding, Stephen J., 2009. "Inequality and Unemployment in a Global Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 7353, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:lunewp:2012_003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.