On symmetry in the formation of stable partnerships
In this note, we examine the connection between the roommate model and the partnership formation model (Talman and Yang, 2011, Journal of Mathematical Economics 47, 206-212). Upon noting that both occasionally lack equilibria we look at the stable partnerships model, a combination of the former models and interpretable as one with a social planner. We find two sufficient conditions for the existence of stable matchings in the stable partnerships model, where one relates to efficiency, and one (the symmetry condition) to fairness. Finally, we provide examples from the fair sharing literature on dividing common values that satisfy the symmetry condition.
|Date of creation:||30 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johan Karlander & Kimmo Eriksson, 2001. "Stable outcomes of the roommate game with transferable utility," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 555-569.
- Bettina Klaus & Flip Klijn, 2010.
"Smith and Rawls share a room: stability and medians,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 647-667, October.
- Klaus, Bettina & Klijn, Flip, 2008. "Smith and Rawls Share a Room: Stability and Medians," Research Memorandum 009, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Bettina Klaus & Flip Klijn, 2009. "Smith and Rawls Share a Room: Stability and Medians," Harvard Business School Working Papers 09-111, Harvard Business School.
- Ju, Y. & Borm, P.E.M. & Ruys, P.H.M., 2004.
"The Consensus Value : A New Solution Concept for Cooperative Games,"
2004-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Yuan Ju & Peter Borm & Pieter Ruys, 2007. "The consensus value: a new solution concept for cooperative games," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 685-703, June.
- Talman, A.J.J. & Yang, Z.F., 2008.
"A Model of Partnership Formation,"
2008-103, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Suryapratim Banerjee & Hideo Konishi & Tayfun Sonmez, 1999.
"Core in a Simple Coalition Formation Game,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
449, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Demange, Gabrielle & Gale, David, 1985. "The Strategy Structure of Two-sided Matching Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(4), pages 873-88, July.
- Demange, Gabrielle & Gale, David & Sotomayor, Marilda, 1986. "Multi-Item Auctions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 863-72, August.
- José Álvaro Rodrigues Neto, 2006.
"Representing Roomates' Preferences with Symmetric Utilities,"
Working Papers Series
105, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Alvaro Rodrigues-Neto, Jose, 2007. "Representing roommates' preferences with symmetric utilities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 545-550, July.
- Chung, Kim-Sau, 2000. "On the Existence of Stable Roommate Matchings," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 206-230, November.
- Ju, Y. & Borm, P.E.M. & Ruys, P.H.M., 2007. "The consensus value : A new solution concept for cooperative games," Other publications TiSEM 6cd44a12-a909-47f8-8d85-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:lunewp:2011_029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.