On symmetry in the formation of stable partnerships
In this note, we examine the connection between the roommate model and the partnership formation model (Talman and Yang, 2011, Journal of Mathematical Economics 47, 206-212). Upon noting that both occasionally lack equilibria we look at the stable partnerships model, a combination of the former models and interpretable as one with a social planner. We find two sufficient conditions for the existence of stable matchings in the stable partnerships model, where one relates to efficiency, and one (the symmetry condition) to fairness. Finally, we provide examples from the fair sharing literature on dividing common values that satisfy the symmetry condition.
|Date of creation:||30 Sep 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, School of Economics and Management, Lund University, Box 7082, S-220 07 Lund,Sweden|
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Talman, A.J.J. & Yang, Z.F., 2008.
"A Model of Partnership Formation,"
2008-103, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gabrielle Demange & Gale David & Marilda Sotomayor, 1986.
- Suryapratim Banerjee & Hideo Konishi & Tayfun Sonmez, 1999.
"Core in a Simple Coalition Formation Game,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
449, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Johan Karlander & Kimmo Eriksson, 2001. "Stable outcomes of the roommate game with transferable utility," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 29(4), pages 555-569.
- Ju, Y. & Borm, P.E.M. & Ruys, P.H.M., 2007.
"The consensus value : A new solution concept for cooperative games,"
Other publications TiSEM
6cd44a12-a909-47f8-8d85-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Yuan Ju & Peter Borm & Pieter Ruys, 2007. "The consensus value: a new solution concept for cooperative games," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 28(4), pages 685-703, June.
- Ju, Y. & Borm, P.E.M. & Ruys, P.H.M., 2004. "The Consensus Value : A New Solution Concept for Cooperative Games," Discussion Paper 2004-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Demange, Gabrielle & Gale, David, 1985.
"The Strategy Structure of Two-sided Matching Markets,"
Econometric Society, vol. 53(4), pages 873-888, July.
- Gabrielle Demange & David Gale, 1985. "The Strategy Structure of Two Sided Matching Markets," Post-Print halshs-00670994, HAL.
- Bettina Klaus & Flip Klijn, 2009.
"Smith and Rawls Share a Room: Stability and Medians,"
Harvard Business School Working Papers
09-111, Harvard Business School.
- Bettina Klaus & Flip Klijn, 2010. "Smith and Rawls share a room: stability and medians," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 35(4), pages 647-667, October.
- Klaus, Bettina & Klijn, Flip, 2008. "Smith and Rawls Share a Room: Stability and Medians," Research Memorandum 009, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Marilda Sotomayor, 2012. "The Role Played By Simple Outcomes In Coalition Formation Process Of The Core Outcomes," Working Papers, Department of Economics 2012_27, University of São Paulo (FEA-USP).
- Chung, Kim-Sau, 2000. "On the Existence of Stable Roommate Matchings," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 206-230, November.
- Alvaro Rodrigues-Neto, Jose, 2007.
"Representing roommates' preferences with symmetric utilities,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 545-550, July.
- José Álvaro Rodrigues Neto, 2006. "Representing Roomates' Preferences with Symmetric Utilities," Working Papers Series 105, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:lunewp:2011_029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.