Cycles and Third-Party Payments in the Partnership Formation Problem
We characterize the core of the partnership formation problem (Talman and Yang, Journal of Mathematical Economics 47, 2011) using cycles in the solution of a linear programming problem. The cycles also lead us to a new and intuitive sufficient condition for the existence of equilibrium, generalizing known results. We then introduce the partnership-stable equilibrium, a weakened solution concept in the sense that each equilibrium is also a partnership-stable equilibrium, and find sufficient and necessary conditions for its existence. Finally, we conduct a simulation study to see how often existence is an issue and which factors affect the rate at which problems have solutions.
|Date of creation:||30 May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, School of Economics and Management, Lund University, Box 7082, S-220 07 Lund,Sweden|
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bettina Klaus & Alexandru Nichifor, 2010. "Consistency in one-sided assignment problems," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 35(3), pages 415-433, September.
- Chung, Kim-Sau, 2000. "On the Existence of Stable Roommate Matchings," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 206-230, November.
- Andersson, Tommy & Gudmundsson, Jens & Talman, Adolphus & Yang, Zaifu, 2013.
"A Competitive Partnership Formation Process,"
2013:2, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Andersson, T. & Gudmundsson, J. & Talman, A.J.J. & Yang, Z., 2013. "A Competitive Partnership Formation Process," Discussion Paper 2013-008, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Tommy Andersson & Jens Gudmundsson & Dolf Talman & Zaifu Yang, 2013. "A Competitive Partnership Formation Process," Discussion Papers 13/04, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Talman, Dolf & Yang, Zaifu, 2011.
"A model of partnership formation,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 206-212, March.
- Johan Karlander & Kimmo Eriksson, 2001. "Stable outcomes of the roommate game with transferable utility," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 29(4), pages 555-569.
- Gudmundsson, Jens, 2013. "A Review of the Existence of Stable Roommate Matchings," Working Papers 2013:8, Lund University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:lunewp:2013_016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.