Core Inflation - Why the Federal Reserve Got it Wrong
This paper introduces a new estimate of core inflation. Core inflation is a real time estimate of monetary inflation. Most existing core inflation estimate do not account for persistent relative price changes and are therefore likely to be poor estimates of the underlying monetary inflation rate. The proposed core inflation estimate estimates core inflation by first estimating the inflation signal in all price series from the price index with a wavelet based signal estimation algorithm. In the second step the weighted inflation average is calculated by using the expenditure weights from the price index as weights. Relative price changes are thus accounted for under the assumption that the household must apply to its long run budget restriction. The proposed estimate of core inflation is estimated using data from the United States and the United Kingdom. It is evaluated by comparing it to existing estimates of core inflation. The empirical analysis show that the proposed estimate has a smaller forecasting error of future inflation than the other estimates and that it rapidly responds to increases in monetary inflation.
|Date of creation:||02 Dec 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, School of Economics and Management, Lund University, Box 7082, S-220 07 Lund,Sweden|
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quah, Danny & Vahey, Shaun P, 1995.
"Measuring Core Inflation?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(432), pages 1130-1144, September.
- Quah, Danny, 1995. "Measuring Core Inflation," CEPR Discussion Papers 1153, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Danny Quah & Shaun Vahey, 1995. "Measuring Core Inflation," Bank of England working papers 31, Bank of England.
- Danny Quah & Danny Quah & Shaun P. Vahey, 1995. "Measuring Core Inflation," CEP Discussion Papers dp0254, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Quah and Vahey core inflation estimation," Statistical Software Components RTZ00139, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Dowd, Kevin & Cotter, John & Loh, Lixia, 2011. "U.S. Core Inflation: A Wavelet Analysis," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(04), pages 513-536, September.
- Cotter, John & Dowd, Kevin, 2006. "U.S. Core Inflation: A Wavelet Analysis," MPRA Paper 3520, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- kevin dowd & john cotter, 2011. "U.S. Core Inflation: A Wavelet Analysis," Papers 1103.5659, arXiv.org.
- Kevin Dowd & John Cotter, 2011. "U.S. Core Inflation: A Wavelet Analysis," Working Papers 200617, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Orphanides, Athanasios, 2003. "The quest for prosperity without inflation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 633-663, April.
- Orphanides, Athanasios, 1999. "The Quest for Prosperity Without Inflation," Working Paper Series 93, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Orphanides, Athanasios, 2000. "The quest for prosperity without inflation," Working Paper Series 0015, European Central Bank.
- Nelson Edward, 2005. "The Great Inflation of the Seventies: What Really Happened?," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-50, July.
- Edward Nelson, 2004. "The Great Inflation of the seventies: what really happened?," Working Papers 2004-001, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Cogley, Timothy, 2002. "A Simple Adaptive Measure of Core Inflation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 94-113, February.
- Timothy Cogley, 1998. "A simple adaptive measure of core inflation," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 98-06, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Benjamin L Hunt, 2007. "U.K. Inflation and Relative Prices over the Last Decade; How Important was Globalization?," IMF Working Papers 07/208, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert W. Rich & Charles Steindel, 2005. "A review of core inflation and an evaluation of its measures," Staff Reports 236, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Jansen M. & Bultheel A., 2001. "Empirical Bayes Approach to Improve Wavelet Thresholding for Image Noise Reduction," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 629-639, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:lunewp:2008_019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.