Testing for Panel Unit Roots in the Presence of an Unknown Structural Break and Cross-Sectional Dependency
This paper introduces two different non-parametric tests for panel unit root based on the wavelet decomposition of time series which may be used in the presence of cross-sectional dependency and an unknown structural break in the data. These tests are compared with the parametric IPS test proposed by Im, Pesaran and Shin (1997) and the Wald test suggested by Taylor and Sarno (1998). By means of Monte Carlo simulations, the results shown that the size and power properties of the new non-parametric tests are robust to cross sectional dependency of the error terms. Furthermore, it is shown that the tests may be used when the time series has an unknown structural break. These tests have also shown to have high power against the alternative hypothesis under the above mentioned conditioned, whiles the IPS and the Wald did not have any power to reject the alternative hypothesis in the presence of structural break in the data.
|Date of creation:||18 Apr 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: HUI Research, Regeringsgatan 60, 103 29 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 (0)8 762 72 80
Fax: +46 (0)8 679 76 06
Web page: http://www.hui.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fan, Yanqin & Gençay, Ramazan, 2010.
"Unit Root Tests With Wavelets,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(05), pages 1305-1331, October.
- David Edgerton & Ghazi Shukur, 1999. "Testing autocorrelation in a system perspective testing autocorrelation," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 343-386.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003.
"A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007. "A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Ghazi Shukur & Panagiotis Mantalos, 2000. "A simple investigation of the Granger-causality test in integrated-cointegrated VAR systems," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(8), pages 1021-1031.
- Jörg Breitung & Bertrand Candelon, 2005. "Purchasing Power Parity during Currency Crises: A Panel Unit Root Test under Structural Breaks," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 141(1), pages 124-140, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:huiwps:0063. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Nilsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.