A Microeconometric Evaluation of Rehabilitation of Long-term Sickness in Sweden
In this study the effects of various types of rehabilitation programmes on different labour market and health related outcomes are estimated. The main feature of this study, compared to previous research, is that it jointly evaluates multiple treatments by nonparametric matching estimators. The study is based on a sample of 6287 persons in western Sweden who are long-term sick observed during 1991 to 1994 and could participate in rehabilitation programmes. Our results suggest that work-place training is superior to the other rehabilitation programmes with respect to labour market outcomes. However, no positive effects of rehabilitation compared to non-participation are found.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||31 Mar 2000|
|Date of revision:||03 Apr 2000|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Applied Econometrics, 2004, pages 375-396.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lechner, Michael, 1999. "Identification and Estimation of Causal Effects of Multiple Treatments Under the Conditional Independence Assumption," IZA Discussion Papers 91, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra Todd, 1998. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(2), pages 261-294.
- Borsch-Supan, Axel & Hajivassiliou, Vassilis A., 1993.
"Smooth unbiased multivariate probability simulators for maximum likelihood estimation of limited dependent variable models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 347-368, August.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Axel Borsch-Supan, 1990. "Smooth Unbiased Multivariate Probability Simulators for Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Limited Dependent Variable Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 960, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Michael Lechner, 2005.
"Some practical issues in the evaluation of heterogeneous labour market programmes by matching methods,"
Labor and Demography
- Michael Lechner, 2002. "Some practical issues in the evaluation of heterogeneous labour market programmes by matching methods," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 165(1), pages 59-82.
- Frölich, Markus & Heshmati, Almas & Lechner, Michael, 2000.
"A Microeconometric Evaluation of Rehabilitation of Long-term Sickness in Sweden,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
373, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 03 Apr 2000.
- Markus Frölich & Almas Heshmati & Michael Lechner, 2004. "A microeconometric evaluation of rehabilitation of long-term sickness in Sweden," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(3), pages 375-396.
- Michael Lechner, 2000. "Programme Heterogeneity and Propensity Score Matching: An Application to the Evaluation of Active Labour Market Policies," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0647, Econometric Society.
- Aakvik, A. & Heckman, J.J. & Vytlacil, E.J., 1999. "Training Effects on Employment when the Training Effects are Heterogenous : an Application to Norwegian Vocational Rehabilitation Programs," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 0599, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Angrist, Joshua D. & Krueger, Alan B., 1999.
"Empirical strategies in labor economics,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 23, pages 1277-1366
- Heshmati, Almas & Engström, Lars-Gunnar, 1999. "Estimating the Effects of Vocational Rehabilitation Programs in Sweden," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 293, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 07 May 1999.
- Heckman, James J. & Lalonde, Robert J. & Smith, Jeffrey A., 1999. "The economics and econometrics of active labor market programs," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1865-2097 Elsevier.
- Gerfin, Michael & Lechner, Michael, 2000.
"Microeconometric Evaluation of the Active Labour Market Policy in Switzerland,"
IZA Discussion Papers
154, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael Gerfin & Michael Lechner, 2002. "A Microeconometric Evaluation of the Active Labour Market Policy in Switzerland," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(482), pages 854-893, October.
- Guido W. Imbens, 1999. "The Role of the Propensity Score in Estimating Dose-Response Functions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0237, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. D. Roy, 1951. "Some Thoughts On The Distribution Of Earnings," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(2), pages 135-146.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:hastef:0373. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.