Should Finland and Sweden Form a Monetary Union?
This paper surveys the future exchange rate policy of Finland and Sweden using the theory of optimal currency areas as a framework for the analysis. We examine which countries are most suitable to form a currency union with Finland and Sweden. The Finnish and Swedish economies display great similarities regarding industrial structure, business cycle patterns, migration and the design of economic policies. There are substantial differences between on the one hand Finland and Sweden, and on the other, many EU countries which are potential members of a future EMU. Our calculations give support for a Finnish-Swedish currency union and put a Finnish-Swedish membership of the EMU into question. Our results stress the importance of Finnish-Swedish co-operation in monetary matters. This could take many forms, of which a monetary union is one.
|Date of creation:||26 Feb 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in The World Economy, 1999.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benjamin J. Cohen, 1993. "Beyond Emu: The Problem Of Sustainability," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(2), pages 187-203, 07.
- Fleming, J Marcus, 1971. "On Exchange Rate Unification," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 81(323), pages 467-88, September.
- Lundborg, Per, 1991. " Determinants of Migration in the Nordic Labor Market," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 93(3), pages 363-75.
- Agathe Cote, . "Exchange Rate Volatility and Trade: A Survey," Working Papers 94-5, Bank of Canada.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 1997. "Is EMU more justifiable ex post than ex ante?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 753-760, April.
- George S. Tavlas, 1993. "The ‘New’ Theory of Optimum Currency Areas," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(6), pages 663-685, November.
- U. Michael Bergman & Michael M. Hutchison & Yin-Wong Cheung, . "Should the Nordic Countries Join A European Monetary Union? An Empirical Analysis," EPRU Working Paper Series 97-21, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:hastef:0224. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.