Ecotourism and the Development of Indigenous Communities: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Coria, Jessica & Calfucura, Enrique, 2012. "Ecotourism and the development of indigenous communities: The good, the bad, and the ugly," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(C), pages 47-55.
References listed on IDEAS
- Blackman, Allen & Woodward, Richard T., 2010.
"User financing in a national payments for environmental services program: Costa Rican hydropower,"
Elsevier, vol. 69(8), pages 1626-1638, June.
- Blackman, Allen & Woodward, Richard T., 2009. "User Financing in a National Payments for Environmental Services Program: Costa Rican Hydropower," Discussion Papers dp-09-03-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Blackman, Allen & Woodward, Richard T., 2009. "User Financing in a National Payments for Environmental Services Program: Costa Rican Hydropower," Discussion Papers dp-09-04, Resources For the Future.
- Renaud Lapeyre, 2010. "Community-based tourism as a sustainable solution to maximise impacts locally? The Tsiseb Conservancy case, Namibia," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(5), pages 757-772.
- Johannesen, Anne Borge & Skonhoft, Anders, 2005.
"Tourism, poaching and wildlife conservation: what can integrated conservation and development projects accomplish?,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 208-226, October.
- Anders Skonhoft & Anne Borge Johannesen, 2004. "Tourism, Poaching and Wildlife Conservation: What can Integrated Conservation and Development Projects accomplish?," Working Paper Series 4504, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Winkler, Ralph, 2011. "Why do ICDPs fail?: The relationship between agriculture, hunting and ecotourism in wildlife conservation," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 55-78, January.
- Naidoo, Robin & Adamowicz, Wiktor L., 2005. "Biodiversity and nature-based tourism at forest reserves in Uganda," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 159-178, May.
- Dustin Becker, Constance, 2003. "Grassroots to Grassroots: Why Forest Preservation was Rapid at Loma Alta, Ecuador," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 163-176, January.
- Clements, Tom & John, Ashish & Nielsen, Karen & An, Dara & Tan, Setha & Milner-Gulland, E.J., 2010. "Payments for biodiversity conservation in the context of weak institutions: Comparison of three programs from Cambodia," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(6), pages 1283-1291, April.
- Blaikie, Piers, 2006. "Is Small Really Beautiful? Community-based Natural Resource Management in Malawi and Botswana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 1942-1957, November.
- Kramer, Randall & Schaik, Carel van & Johnson, Julie (ed.), 1997. "Last Stand: Protected Areas and the Defense of Tropical Biodiversity," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195095548.
- Caitlin Mary Lepper & Jessica Schroenn Goebel, 2010. "Community-based natural resource management, poverty alleviation and livelihood diversification: A case study from northern Botswana," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(5), pages 725-739.
- Subhrendu K. Pattanayak & Sven Wunder & Paul J. Ferraro, 2010. "Show Me the Money: Do Payments Supply Environmental Services in Developing Countries?," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 4(2), pages 254-274, Summer.
- Fisher, Brendan & Christopher, Treg, 2007. "Poverty and biodiversity: Measuring the overlap of human poverty and the biodiversity hotspots," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 93-101, April.
- Alpizar, Francisco, 2006. "The pricing of protected areas in nature-based tourism: A local perspective," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 294-307, February.
- Frost, Peter G.H. & Bond, Ivan, 2008. "The CAMPFIRE programme in Zimbabwe: Payments for wildlife services," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(4), pages 776-787, May.
- Robert Hearne & C. Santos, 2005. "Tourists‘ and Locals‘ Preferences Toward Ecotourism Development in the Maya Biosphere Reserve, Guatemala," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 303-318, September.
- Sommerville, Matthew & Jones, Julia P.G. & Rahajaharison, Michael & Milner-Gulland, E.J., 2010. "The role of fairness and benefit distribution in community-based Payment for Environmental Services interventions: A case study from Menabe, Madagascar," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(6), pages 1262-1271, April.
- Leopoldo Dimas & Susan Kandel & Deborah Barry & Herman Rosa, 2004. "Compensation for Environmental Services and Rural Communities: Lessons from the Americas," Working Papers wp96, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Arcese, Peter, 1995. "Are Integrated Conservation-Development Projects (ICDPs) Sustainable? On the conservation of large mammals in sub-Saharan Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1073-1084, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vallino, Elena & Aldahsev,Gani, 2013. "NGOs and participatory conservation in developing countries: why are there inefficiencies?," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201318, University of Turin.
- repec:eee:ecoser:v:16:y:2015:i:c:p:354-364 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wood, Apanie L. & Butler, James R.A. & Sheaves, Marcus & Wani, Jacob, 2013. "Sport fisheries: Opportunities and challenges for diversifying coastal livelihoods in the Pacific," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 305-314.
- repec:eee:ecolec:v:145:y:2018:i:c:p:18-26 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ren-Fang Chao, 2015. "Development of Slow Tourism Challenge and Operation Architecture: A Case Study on Green Island, Taiwan," Acta Oeconomica, Akadémiai Kiadó, Hungary, vol. 65(supplemen), pages 351-367, December.
- Enrique Calfucura & Eugenio Figueroa, 2016. "Using benefits and costs estimations to manage conservation: Chile’s protected areas," Working Papers wp418, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Gianluca Felicetti, 2015. "The perception of Stakeholder’ s from protected areas on ecotourism development," Manager Journal, Faculty of Business and Administration, University of Bucharest, vol. 22(1), pages 32-43, December.
- repec:eee:forpol:v:84:y:2017:i:c:p:72-82 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:9:y:2017:i:7:p:1134-:d:102910 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dyah Maya Nihayah, 2017. "Development Strategies to Improve the Ecotourism of Indigenous Villages," GATR Journals jber140, Global Academy of Training and Research (GATR) Enterprise.
- repec:taf:deveza:v:34:y:2017:i:3:p:276-294 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gianna Moscardo & Laurie Murphy, 2014. "There Is No Such Thing as Sustainable Tourism: Re-Conceptualizing Tourism as a Tool for Sustainability," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(5), pages 1-24, April.
- Tomas Gorner & Klara Najmanova & Martin Cihar, 2012. "Changes in Local People’s Perceptions of the Sumava National Park in the Czech Republic over a Ten Year Period (1998–2008)," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 4(6), pages 1-17, June.
- Kathleen Segerson, 2013. "Voluntary Approaches to Environmental Protection and Resource Management," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 5(1), pages 161-180, June.
- repec:taf:jenpmg:v:60:y:2017:i:9:p:1529-1553 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:ecolec:v:146:y:2018:i:c:p:85-95 is not listed on IDEAS
- Coria, Jessica & Robinson, Elizabeth & Smith, Henrik G. & Sterner, Thomas, 2012. "Biodiversity Conservation and Ecosystem Services Provision: Tale of Confused Objectives, Multiple Market Failures and Policy Challenges," Working Papers in Economics 546, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Knight, David W. & Cottrell, Stuart P., 2016. "Evaluating tourism-linked empowerment in Cuzco, Peru," Annals of Tourism Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 32-47.
- repec:eee:ecoser:v:8:y:2014:i:c:p:75-83 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
Keywordsecotourism; biodiversity; ICDP; indigenous communities;
- Q50 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-03-05 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-PPM-2011-03-05 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-RES-2011-03-05 (Resource Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2011-03-05 (Tourism Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:gunwpe:0489. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Andersson). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/naiguse.html .