A Component-Based Analysis Of The Danish Long-Run Money Demand Relation
This paper examines the relation between monetary asset components and some of the variables that traditionally enter into aggregate money demand relations. This is done for Danish data within the natural framework of a multivariate econometric model. The purpose of the study is to investigate issues in relation to the level and weighting of a monetary aggregate. We show that within this model it is possible to identify monetary aggregates at different levels of aggregation and that for the narrow aggregate (M1) equal weighting of the components are permitted. For the broader aggregates, (M2) or (M2-M1), equal weighting is no longer appropriate. These findings are not contradictory to what we would expect from aggregation and index number theory. Finally, the overall identifica-tion of the stationary (or long-run) structure points towards a co-existence of a liquid and a less liquid money demand relation which is interpreted as an indication of the possibility of splitting the total money demand relation with respect to different motives for holding money.
|Date of creation:||18 Jul 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Copenhagen Business School, Solbjerg Plads 3 C, 5. sal, DK-2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark|
Phone: 38 15 25 75
Fax: 38 15 34 99
Web page: http://www.cbs.dk/departments/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Søren, 1992. "A Representation of Vector Autoregressive Processes Integrated of Order 2," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 188-202, June.
- Johansen, Søren, 1995.
"A Stastistical Analysis of Cointegration for I(2) Variables,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 25-59, February.
- Johansen, S., 1991. "A Statistical Analsysis of Cointegration for I(2) Variables," Papers 77, Helsinki - Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Barnett, William A., 1980. "Economic monetary aggregates an application of index number and aggregation theory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 11-48, September.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, December.
- Bordo, Michael D. & Jonung, Lars, 1990.
"The long-run behavior of velocity: The institutional approach revisited,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 165-197.
- Michael D. Bordo & Lars Jonung, 1989. "The Long-Run Behavior of Velocity: The Institutional Approach Revisited," NBER Working Papers 3204, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Søren Johansen & Katarina Juselius, 1992.
"Identification of the Long-Run and the Short-Run Structure: An Application to the ISLM Model,"
92-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1994. "Identification of the long-run and the short-run structure an application to the ISLM model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 7-36, July.
- David E. Laidler, 1988.
"Taking Money Seriously,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(4), pages 687-713, November.
- Spanos, Aris, 1984. "Liquidity as a Latent Variable-An Application of the MIMIC Model," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 46(2), pages 125-43, May.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Clements, Kenneth W. & Nguyen, Phuong, 1980. "Economic monetary aggregates--comment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 49-53, September.
- William Barnett, 2005.
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200510, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2005.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:cbsnow:1999_006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lars Nondal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.