An empirical analysis of the effect of labour market characteristics on marital dissolution rates
The development in the 1960s of the divorce rate is strikingly similar for the USA and Denmark where the rate in both cases increases very fast from 1967-68 until the mid 1970s. Using time series data for the USA and Denmark the relationship between the divorce rate and genderspecific labor market characteristics is analysed by using Granger causality tests and by estimating VAR-models including impulse response functions. Historically, the female labor force participation rate increases before the structural shift in the divorce rate and for both the analyzed countries the analysis suggests that the female labor force participation rate has some influence on the divorce rate.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +45 89 486396
Fax: +45 8615 5175
Web page: http://www.asb.dk/departments/nat.aspx
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thoma, Mark A., 1994. "Subsample instability and asymmetries in money-income causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 279-306.
- Saul D. Hoffman & Greg J. Duncan, 1995. "The Effect of Incomes, Wages, and AFDC Benefits on Marital Disruption," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(1), pages 19-41.
- Perron, P., 1987. "The Great Crash, the Oil Prices and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Cahiers de recherche 8749, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jensen, Peter & Smith, Nina, 1990. "Unemployment and Marital Dissolution," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 215-29, October.
- Weiss, Y. & Willis, R.J., 1995.
"Match Quality, New Information and Marital Dissolution,"
33-95, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- Weiss, Yoram & Willis, Robert J, 1997. "Match Quality, New Information, and Marital Dissolution," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages S293-329, January.
- Yoram Weiss & Robert J. Willis, . "Match Quality, New Information and Marital Dissolution," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 95-13, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Becker, Gary S & Landes, Elisabeth M & Michael, Robert T, 1977. "An Economic Analysis of Marital Instability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(6), pages 1141-87, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:aareco:2002_014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helle Vinbaek Stenholt)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.