Mega-Sporting Events in Developing Nations: Playing the Way to Prosperity?
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Victor A. Matheson & Robert A. Baade, 2004. "Mega-Sporting Events In Developing Nations: Playing The Way To Prosperity?," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 72(5), pages 1085-1096, December.
- Victor A. Matheson & Robert A. Baade, "undated". "Mega-Sporting Events in Developing Nations: Playing the way to Prosperity?," Center for Development Economics 174, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Victor A. Matheson & Robert A. Baade, 2003. "Mega-Sporting Events in Developing Nations : Playing the Way to Prosperity?," Department of Economics Working Papers 2003-17, Department of Economics, Williams College.
References listed on IDEAS
- Robert Baade & Victor Matheson, 1999. "An assessment of the economic impact of the american football championship, the Superbowl, on host communities," IASE Conference Papers 9903, International Association of Sports Economists.
- Robert Baade & Victor Matheson, 2000. "Bidding for the Olympics: Fools Gold?," IASE Conference Papers 0007, International Association of Sports Economists.
- Robert Baade & Victor Matheson, 2004.
"The Quest for the Cup: Assessing the Economic Impact of the World Cup,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(4), pages 343-354.
- Robert Baade & Victor Matheson, 2004. "The Quest for the Cup: Assessing the Economic Impact of the World Cup," IASE Conference Papers 0406, International Association of Sports Economists.
- John J. Siegfried & Andrew Zimbalist, 2000. "The Economics of Sports Facilities and Their Communities," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 95-114, Summer.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Swart, Kamilla & Bob, Urmilla, 2012. "Listening to community voices: Athlone and green point residents' views on the location of the 2010 FIFA World Cup Stadium in Cape Town," Edition HWWI: Chapters,in: Zur Ökonomik von Spitzenleistungen im internationalen Sport, pages 101-122 Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Jeroen Schokkaert & Johan F.M. Swinnen & Thijs Vandemoortele, 2012. "Mega Events and Sports Institutional Development: The Impact of the World Cup on Football Academies in Africa," Chapters,in: International Handbook on the Economics of Mega Sporting Events, chapter 19 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Roberto Gásquez & Vicente Royuela, 2014.
"Is Football an Indicator of Development at the International Level?,"
Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement,
Springer, vol. 117(3), pages 827-848, July.
- Robert Gasquez & Vicente Royuela, 2012. "Is football an indicator of development at the international level?," Working Papers in Economics 275, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Robert Baumann & Victor Matheson, 2013.
"Infrastructure Investments and Mega-Sports Events: Comparing the Experience of Developing and Industrialized Countries,"
1305, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Robert Baumann & Victor Matheson, 2013. "Infrastructure Investments and Mega-Sports Events: Comparing the Experience of Developing and Industrialized Countries," Working Papers 1302, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Brad R. Humphreys & Bruce K. Johnson & John C. Whitehead, 2017. "Validity and Reliability of Contingent Valuation and Life Satisfaction Measures of Welfare: An Application to the Value of National Olympic Success," Working Papers 17-08, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Vörös, Tünde, 2017.
"Költség-haszon elemzési keretrendszer sportberuházások társadalmi-gazdasági értékeléséhez
[An economic framework for cost-benefit analysis of sports facilities]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(4), pages 394-420.
- P.A. Black, 2004. "Economic Impact Analysis: Methodological Note," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 72(5), pages 1069-1075, December.
- Wolfgang Maennig & Florian Schwarthoff, 2006.
"Stadium Architecture and regional economic development: International experience and the plans of Durban,"
200604, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Wolfgang Maennig & Florian Schwarthoff, 2008. "Stadium Architecture and Regional Economic Development: International Experience and the Plans of Durban," Working Papers 0816, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Simon Planells Struse & Daniel Montolio, 2014. "The effect of football matches on crime patterns in Barcelona," ERSA conference papers ersa14p1606, European Regional Science Association.
- Kavetsos, Georgios & Szymanski, Stefan, 2010.
"National well-being and international sports events,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 158-171, April.
- Georgios Kavetsos & Stefan Szymanski, 2008. "National Wellbeing and International Sports Events," Working Papers 0804, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Daniel Montolio & Simón Planells-Struse, 2015. "Measuring the negative externalities of a private leisure activity: hooligans and pickpockets around the stadium," Working Papers 2015/15, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
More about this item
Keywordsdevelopment; football; impact analysis; World Cup; sports; mega-event;
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- R53 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Public Facility Location Analysis; Public Investment and Capital Stock
- O2 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-01-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2005-01-02 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-SPO-2005-01-02 (Sports & Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hcx:wpaper:0404. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/deholus.html .