The Transformation of China’s Health Care System and Accounting Methods: Current Reforms and Developments
As China relies increasingly on markets for economic decision-making, information (accounting) services become critical. We analyze the Chinese health care system in transition to highlight the changing role and nature of accounting services before and after the recent reforms. In January 1999 dramatic changes were instituted in China’s health care accounting system, thereby enabling financial statement users to assess the flow of resources and its effect on financial position. The legacy of the command economy remains clearly evident, however, particularly in the areas of privatization, state subsidies, pharmaceuticals, and budgetary financing. Suggestions for further reform are offered.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Advances in International Accounting, edited by S.T. Sale JAI (Elsevier Science), Vol. 15, pp. 13-44.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (508)793-3362|
Fax: (508) 793-3708
Web page: http://www.holycross.edu/departments/economics/website/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grogan, Colleen M., 1995. "Urban economic reform and access to health care coverage in the People's Republic of China," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1073-1084, October.
- Kolleen J Rask & David K W Chu & Thomas R Gottschang, 1998. "Institutional Change in Transitional Economies: The Case of Accounting in China," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(4), pages 76-100, December.
- David Burton & Wanda Tseng & Kalpana Kochhar & Hoe Ee Khor & Dubravko Mihaljek, 1994. "Economic Reform in China: A New Phase," IMF Occasional Papers 114, International Monetary Fund.
- Zheng, Xiang & Hillier, Sheila, 1995. "The reforms of the Chinese health care system: County level changes: The Jiangxi study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1057-1064, October.
- Kolleen J. Rask & Kevin N. Rask, 1994.
"The pivotal role of services in transitional economies: lessons from the West,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 2(4), pages 467-486, December.
- Kolleen Rask & Kevin Rask, 1994. "The Pivotal Role of Services in Transitional Economies: Lessons from the West," Working Papers 9405, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Hsiao, William C. L., 1995. "The Chinese health care system: Lessons for other nations," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1047-1055, October.
- David Chu & Kolleen Rask & Thomas Gottschang, 1998. "Institutional Change in Transitional Economies: The Case of Accounting in China," Working Papers 9804, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Michael W. Bell & Kalpana Kochhar & Hoe Ee Khor, 1993. "China at the Threshold of a Market Economy," IMF Occasional Papers 107, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hcx:wpaper:0003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.