Management accounting in less developed countries: what is known and needs knowing
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to evaluate management accounting research in developing countries and formulate suggestions for its progression. Design/methodology/approach – This is a desk based study of existing literature analysed through a framework of management control transformation in developing countries derived from the authors' research. Findings – Research is growing, especially on accounting in state-owned and privatised enterprises but more is needed on small and micro enterprises, agriculture, non-governmental organisations, and transnational institutions. Originality/value – This is the first review of this area and thus should help intending and existing scholars.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 22 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=aaaj Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Preston, Alistair M., 2006. "Enabling, enacting and maintaining action at a distance: An historical case study of the role of accounts in the reduction of the Navajo herds," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 559-578, August.
- Ezzamel, Mahmoud & Willmott, Hugh & Worthington, Frank, 2008. "Manufacturing shareholder value: The role of accounting in organizational transformation," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 33(2-3), pages 107-140.
- David Chu & Kolleen Rask, 2000.
"The Transformation of China’s Health Care System and Accounting Methods: Current Reforms and Developments,"
0003, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- David Chu & Kolleen Rask, 2002. "The Transformation of China's Health Care System and Accounting Methods: Current Reforms and Developments," Working Papers 0208, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Anderson, Shannon W. & Lanen, William N., 1999. "Economic transition, strategy and the evolution of management accounting practices: the case of India," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 24(5-6), pages 379-412, July.
- Barrett, Michael & Cooper, David J. & Jamal, Karim, 2005. "Globalization and the coordinating of work in multinational audits," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Ezzamel, Mahmoud & Xiao, Jason Zezhong & Pan, Aixiang, 2007. "Political ideology and accounting regulation in China," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 32(7-8), pages 669-700.
- Arnold, Patricia J., 2005. "Disciplining domestic regulation: the World Trade Organization and the market for professional services," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 299-330, May.
- Brendan O'Dwyer & Jeffrey Unerman, 2007. "From functional to social accountability: Transforming the accountability relationship between funders and non-governmental development organisations," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 20(3), pages 446-471, April.
- Preston, Alistair & Oakes, Leslie, 2001. "The Navajo documents: a study of the economic representation and construction of the Navajo," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 39-71, January.
- Philip Constable & Nooch Kuasirikun, 2007. "Accounting for the nation-state in mid nineteenth-century Thailand," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 20(4), pages 574-619, June.
- Teoh, Hai-Yap & Thong, Gregory, 1984. "Another look at corporate social responsibility and reporting: An empirical study in a developing country," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 189-206, June.
- Jason Zezhong Xiao & Pauline Weetman & Manli Sun, 2004. "Political Influence and Coexistence of a Uniform Accounting System and Accounting Standards: Recent Developments in China," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 40(2), pages 193-218.
- Skousen, Clifford R. & Yang, Ji-Liang, 1988. "Western management accounting and the economic reforms of China," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 201-206, March.
- Keith Dixon, 2004. "Experiences of an accounting educator in Kiribati," Accounting Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 311-327.
- M.L. Varma, 1984. "World Economy," Foreign Trade Review, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, vol. 19(2), pages 347-353, July.
- Vernon-Wortzel, Heidi & Wortzel, Lawrence H., 1989. "Privatization: Not the only answer," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 633-641, May.
- Chan, K. Hung & Lew, Albert Y. & Tong, Marian Yew Jen Wu, 2001. "Accounting and management controls in the classical Chinese novel: A Dream of the Red Mansions," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 311-327, 09.
- Brewer,Anthony, 1984. "A Guide to Marx's 'Capital'," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521276764, Junio.
- Rob Dixon & John Ritchie & Juliana Siwale, 2006. "Microfinance: accountability from the grassroots," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(3), pages 405-427, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:aaajpp:v:22:y:2009:i:3:p:469-514. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.