Do Power Consumption Data Tell the Story? - Electricity Intensity and Hidden Economy in Post-Socialist Countries
The paper disputes the frequently presented and quoted statement that in post-socialist economies data on power consumption are better indicators for aggregate output changes than data on official GDP. Attempt is made to show that the variation of electricity intensities in post-socialist countries does not necessarily reflect the growth of the hidden parts of the economy. Statistical and econometric analysis of data for 18 post-socialist economies show that in this region, the differences in measured and registered structural changes are more important factors explaining the differences in the changes of electricity intensity than the changing size of the unofficial economy.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1112 Budapest, Budaorsi ut 45.|
Phone: (+36-1) 309-2652
Fax: (36-1) 319-3136
Web page: http://econ.core.hu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kornai, Janos, 1992. "The Socialist System: The Political Economy of Communism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287766.
- Kornai, J. & Ely, R.T., 1992.
"The Postsocialist Transition and the State: Reflections in the Light of Hungarian Fiscal Problems,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1583, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Kornai, Janos, 1992. "The Postsocialist Transition and the State: Reflections in the Light of Hungarian Fiscal Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 1-21, May.
- Janos Kornai, 1995. "Eliminating the shortage economy: a general anaysis and examination of the developments in Hungary," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 3(1), pages 13-37, 03.
- Kornai, Janos, 1993. "The Evolution of Financial Discipline under the Postsocialist System," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 315-36.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:has:bworkp:9902. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adrienn Foldi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.