Solving a Multi-Level Capacitated Lot Sizing Problem with Multi-Period Setup Carry-Over via a Fix-and-Optimize Heuristic
This paper presents a new algorithm for the dynamic Multi-Level Capacitated Lot Sizing Problem with Setup Carry-Overs (MLCLSP-L). The MLCLSP-L is a big-bucket model that allows the production of any number of products within a period, but it incorporates partial sequencing of the production orders in the sense that the first and the last product produced in a period are determined by the model. We solve a model which is applicable to general bill-of-material structures and which includes minimum lead times of one period and multi-period setup carry-overs. Our algorithm solves a series of mixed-integer linear programs in an iterative so-called Fix-and-Optimize approach. In each instance of these mixed-integer linear programs a large number of binary setup variables is fixed whereas only a small subset of these variables is optimized, together with the complete set of the inventory and lot size variables. A numerical study shows that the algorithm provides high-quality results and that the computational effort is moderate.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Koenigsworther Platz 1, D-30167 Hannover|
Phone: (0511) 762-5350
Fax: (0511) 762-5665
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-hannover.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kuik, Roelof & Salomon, Marc & van Wassenhove, Luk N., 1994. "Batching decisions: structure and models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 243-263, June.
- Maes, Johan & McClain, John O. & Van Wassenhove, Luk N., 1991. "Multilevel capacitated lotsizing complexity and LP-based heuristics," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 131-148, July.
- Jans, Raf & Degraeve, Zeger, 2007. "Meta-heuristics for dynamic lot sizing: A review and comparison of solution approaches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 1855-1875, March.
- Wolsey, Laurence A., 1995. "Progress with single-item lot-sizing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 395-401, November.
- Stadtler, Hartmut, 2003. "Multilevel lot sizing with setup times and multiple constrained resources: Internally rolling schedules with lot-sizing windows," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 20204, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Brahimi, Nadjib & Dauzere-Peres, Stephane & Najid, Najib M. & Nordli, Atle, 2006. "Single item lot sizing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Christopher Suerie & Hartmut Stadtler, 2003. "The Capacitated Lot-Sizing Problem with Linked Lot Sizes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(8), pages 1039-1054, August.
- Karimi, B. & Fatemi Ghomi, S. M. T. & Wilson, J. M., 2003. "The capacitated lot sizing problem: a review of models and algorithms," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 365-378, October.
- Helber, Stefan & Sahling, Florian, 2010.
"A fix-and-optimize approach for the multi-level capacitated lot sizing problem,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 247-256, February.
- Helber, Stefan & Sahling, Florian, 2008. "A Fix-and-Optimize Approach for the Multi-Level Capacitated Lot Sizing Problems," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-393, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Elena Katok & Holly S. Lewis & Terry P. Harrison, 1998.
"Lot Sizing in General Assembly Systems with Setup Costs, Setup Times, and Multiple Constrained Resources,"
INFORMS, vol. 44(6), pages 859-877, June.
- Katok, Elena & Holly S. Lewis & Terry P. Harrison, 1995. "Lot Sizing in General Assembly Systems with Setup Costs, Setup Times and Multiple Constrained Resources," Discussion Paper Serie B 346, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Drexl, A. & Kimms, A., 1997. "Lot sizing and scheduling -- Survey and extensions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 221-235, June.
- Mohan Gopalakrishnan & Ke Ding & Jean-Marie Bourjolly & Srimathy Mohan, 2001. "A Tabu-Search Heuristic for the Capacitated Lot-Sizing Problem with Set-up Carryover," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(6), pages 851-863, June.
- Suerie, Christopher & Stadtler, Hartmut, 2003. "The Capacitated lot-sizing problem with linked lot sizes," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 20206, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Tempelmeier, Horst & Helber, Stefan, 1994. "A heuristic for dynamic multi-item multi-level capacitated lotsizing for general product structures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 296-311, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:han:dpaper:dp-400. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Heidrich, Christian)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.