A Tabu-Search Heuristic for the Capacitated Lot-Sizing Problem with Set-up Carryover
This paper presents a tabu-search heuristic for the capacitated lot-sizing problem (CLSP) with set-up carryover. This production-planning problems allows multiple items to be produced within a time period, and setups for items to be carried over from one period to the next. Two interrelated decisions, sequencing and lot sizing, are present in this problem. Our tabu-search heuristic consists of five basic move types---three for the sequencing decisions and two for the lot-sizing decisions. We allow infeasible solutions to be generated at a penalty during the course of the search. We use several search strategies, such as dynamic tabu list, adaptive memory, and self-adjusting penalties, to strengthen our heuristic. We also propose a lower-bounding procedure to estimate the quality of our heuristic solution. We have also modified our heuristic to produce good solutions for the CLSP without set-up carryover. The computational study, conducted on a set of 540 test problems, indicates that on average our heuristic solutions are within 12% of a bound on optimality. In addition, for the set of test problems our results indicate an 8% reduction in total cost through set-up carryover.
Volume (Year): 47 (2001)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey M. Wagner & Thomson M. Whitin, 1958. "Dynamic Version of the Economic Lot Size Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(1), pages 89-96, October.
- Lozano, Sebastian & Larraneta, Juan & Onieva, Luis, 1991. "Primal-dual approach to the single level capacitated lot-sizing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 354-366, April.
- Dirk Cattrysse & Marc Salomon & Roelof Kuik & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 1993. "A Dual Ascent and Column Generation Heuristic for the Discrete Lotsizing and Scheduling Problem with Setup Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(4), pages 477-486, April.
- Michel Gendreau & Alain Hertz & Gilbert Laporte, 1994. "A Tabu Search Heuristic for the Vehicle Routing Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(10), pages 1276-1290, October.
- Moustapha Diaby & Harish C. Bahl & Mark H. Karwan & Stanley Zionts, 1992. "A Lagrangean Relaxation Approach for Very-Large-Scale Capacitated Lot-Sizing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(9), pages 1329-1340, September.
- Anderson, Edward J. & Cheah, Boon Soon, 1993. "Capacitated lot-sizing with minimum batch sizes and setup times," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 137-152, July.
- Fred Glover & Gary A. Kochenberger & Bahram Alidaee, 1998. "Adaptive Memory Tabu Search for Binary Quadratic Programs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(3), pages 336-345, March.
- M. Florian & J. K. Lenstra & A. H. G. Rinnooy Kan, 1980. "Deterministic Production Planning: Algorithms and Complexity," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(7), pages 669-679, July.
- William W. Trigeiro & L. Joseph Thomas & John O. McClain, 1989. "Capacitated Lot Sizing with Setup Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(3), pages 353-366, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:47:y:2001:i:6:p:851-863. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.