A Tabu-Search Heuristic for the Capacitated Lot-Sizing Problem with Set-up Carryover
This paper presents a tabu-search heuristic for the capacitated lot-sizing problem (CLSP) with set-up carryover. This production-planning problems allows multiple items to be produced within a time period, and setups for items to be carried over from one period to the next. Two interrelated decisions, sequencing and lot sizing, are present in this problem. Our tabu-search heuristic consists of five basic move types---three for the sequencing decisions and two for the lot-sizing decisions. We allow infeasible solutions to be generated at a penalty during the course of the search. We use several search strategies, such as dynamic tabu list, adaptive memory, and self-adjusting penalties, to strengthen our heuristic. We also propose a lower-bounding procedure to estimate the quality of our heuristic solution. We have also modified our heuristic to produce good solutions for the CLSP without set-up carryover. The computational study, conducted on a set of 540 test problems, indicates that on average our heuristic solutions are within 12% of a bound on optimality. In addition, for the set of test problems our results indicate an 8% reduction in total cost through set-up carryover.
Volume (Year): 47 (2001)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William W. Trigeiro & L. Joseph Thomas & John O. McClain, 1989. "Capacitated Lot Sizing with Setup Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(3), pages 353-366, March.
- Dirk Cattrysse & Marc Salomon & Roelof Kuik & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 1993. "A Dual Ascent and Column Generation Heuristic for the Discrete Lotsizing and Scheduling Problem with Setup Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(4), pages 477-486, April.
- Fred Glover & Gary A. Kochenberger & Bahram Alidaee, 1998. "Adaptive Memory Tabu Search for Binary Quadratic Programs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(3), pages 336-345, March.
- Anderson, Edward J. & Cheah, Boon Soon, 1993. "Capacitated lot-sizing with minimum batch sizes and setup times," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 137-152, July.
- Michel Gendreau & Alain Hertz & Gilbert Laporte, 1994. "A Tabu Search Heuristic for the Vehicle Routing Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(10), pages 1276-1290, October.
- M. Florian & J. K. Lenstra & A. H. G. Rinnooy Kan, 1980. "Deterministic Production Planning: Algorithms and Complexity," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(7), pages 669-679, July.
- Moustapha Diaby & Harish C. Bahl & Mark H. Karwan & Stanley Zionts, 1992. "A Lagrangean Relaxation Approach for Very-Large-Scale Capacitated Lot-Sizing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(9), pages 1329-1340, September.
- Lozano, Sebastian & Larraneta, Juan & Onieva, Luis, 1991. "Primal-dual approach to the single level capacitated lot-sizing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 354-366, April.
- Harvey M. Wagner & Thomson M. Whitin, 1958. "Dynamic Version of the Economic Lot Size Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(1), pages 89-96, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:47:y:2001:i:6:p:851-863. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.