Mapping Modes of Rural Labour Migration in China
Internal labour migration has become an important part of the process of China's industrialization and urbanisation in the 2000s. Using micro data for the year 2007, this chapter attempts to contribute to a better understanding of the motives of and the constraints to labour mobility in China. Drawing on various empirical investigations at the household level, it examines both the decision and the level of migration and provides a mapping of the main factors driving different types of labour mobility across space (by destination) and time (by duration).
|Date of creation:||09 May 2012|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00695632|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhao, Yaohui, 1999. "Labor Migration and Earnings Differences: The Case of Rural China," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(4), pages 767-782, July.
- Yaohui Zhao, 2003. "The Role of Migrant Networks in Labor Migration: The Case of China," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(4), pages 500-511, October.
- Katrina Mullan & Pauline Grosjean & Andreas Kontoleon, 2008.
"Land Tenure Arrangements and Rural-Urban Migration in China,"
Environmental Economy and Policy Research Working Papers
37.2008, University of Cambridge, Department of Land Economics, revised 2008.
- Mullan, Katrina & Grosjean, Pauline & Kontoleon, Andreas, 2011. "Land Tenure Arrangements and Rural-Urban Migration in China," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 123-133, January.
- Sylvie Démurger & Hui Xu, 2011.
"Left-Behind Children and Return Decisions of Rural Migrants in China,"
1122, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Sylvie Démurger & Hui Xu, 2015. "Left‐Behind Children and Return Decisions of Rural Migrants in China," Post-Print halshs-01159072, HAL.
- Sylvie Démurger & Hui Xu, 2011. "Left‐Behind Children and Return Decisions of Rural Migrants in China," Post-Print halshs-00617039, HAL.
- Sylvie Démurger & Hui Xu, 2011. "Left-Behind Children and Return Decisions of Rural Migrants in China," Post-Print halshs-00686000, HAL.
- Sylvie Démurger & Hui Xu, 2011. "Left-Behind Children and Return Decisions of Rural Migrants in China," Post-Print halshs-00957597, HAL.
- Sylvie Démurger & Hui Xu, 2011. "Left-Behind Children and Return Decisions of Rural Migrants in China," Post-Print halshs-00625636, HAL.
- Démurger, Sylvie & Xu, Hui, 2013. "Left-Behind Children and Return Decisions of Rural Migrants in China," IZA Discussion Papers 7727, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Denise Hare, 1999. "'Push' versus 'pull' factors in migration outflows and returns: Determinants of migration status and spell duration among China's rural population," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 45-72.
- Pramila Krishnan & Stefan Dercon, 1995. "Income portfolios in rural Ethiopia and Tanzania: choices and constraints," CSAE Working Paper Series 1995-12, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Görlich, Dennis & Trebesch, Christoph, 2008.
"Seasonal migration and networks-evidence on Moldova’s labour exodus,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20444, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Dennis Görlich & Christoph Trebesch, 2008. "Seasonal Migration and Networks—Evidence on Moldova’s Labour Exodus," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 144(1), pages 107-133, April.
- Görlich, Dennis & Trebesch, Christoph, 2008. "Seasonal migration and networks: Evidence on Moldova's labour exodus," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 4282, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Winters, Paul C. & de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 1999.
"Family And Community Networks In Mexico-U.S. Migration,"
12907, University of New England, School of Economics.
- Paul Winters & Alain de Janvry & Elisabeth Sadoulet, 2001. "Family and Community Networks in Mexico-U.S. Migration," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 36(1), pages 159-184.
- Yuyu Chen & Ginger Zhe Jin & Yang Yue, 2010. "Peer Migration in China," NBER Working Papers 15671, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhong Zhao, 2005. "Migration, Labor Market Flexibility, and Wage Determination in China: A Review," Labor and Demography 0507009, EconWPA.
- Zhu, Nong, 2002. "The impacts of income gaps on migration decisions in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2-3), pages 213-230.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00695632. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.