Linear Prices Equilibria and Nonexclusive Insurance Market
We consider a competitive insurance market in which agents can privately enter into multicontractual insurance relationships and undertake hidden actions. We study the existence of linear equilibria when insurance companies do not have any restriction on their pricing rules. We provide conditions under which a linear equilibrium exists. We show that two different types of linear equilibria could exist: A first one in which insurance companies make zero expected profits, and a second one in which they make strictly positive expected profits. We also analyze the welfare properties of the linear equilibria. We show that they are not always second best Pareto optimal.
|Date of creation:||05 Oct 2013|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00870113|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurence Ales & Pricila Maziero, 2009.
"Adverse Selection and Non-Exclusive Contracts,"
GSIA Working Papers
2010-E61, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Michael Peters, 1999.
"Common Agency and the Revelation Principle,"
peters-99-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Christine A. Parlour & Uday Rajan, 2001. "Competition in Loan Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1311-1328, December.
- Richard J. Arnott & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1988.
"The Basic Analytics of Moral Hazard,"
NBER Working Papers
2484, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bisin, Alberto & Guaitoli, Danilo, 1998.
"Moral Hazard and Non-Exclusive Contracts,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1987, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bisin, A. & Guaitoli, D., 1998. "Moral Hazard and Non-Exclusive Contracts," Working Papers 98-24, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Alberto Bisin & Danilo Guaitoli, 1998. "Moral hazard and non-exclusive contracts," Economics Working Papers 345, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- David Martimort & Lars Stole, 2001.
"The Revelation and Delegation Principles in Common Agency Games,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
575, CESifo Group Munich.
- David Martimort & Lars Stole, 2002. "The Revelation and Delegation Principles in Common Agency Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1659-1673, July.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1975. "On moral hazard in general equilibrium theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 8-23, February.
- Charles M. Kahn & Dilip Mookherjee, 1998.
"Competition and Incentives with Nonexclusive Contracts,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(3), pages 443-465, Autumn.
- Charles M. Kahn & Dilip Mookherjee, 1996. "Competition and Incentives with Non-Exclusive Contracts," Papers 0075, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Kahn, C.M. & Mookherjee, D., 1996. "Competition and Incentives with Non-Exclusive Contracts," Papers 75, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Attar, Andrea & Chassagnon, Arnold, 2009.
"On moral hazard and nonexclusive contracts,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(9-10), pages 511-525, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00870113. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.