Linear Prices Equilibria and Nonexclusive Insurance Market
We consider a competitive insurance market in which agents can privately enter into multicontractual insurance relationships and undertake hidden actions. We study the existence of linear equilibria when insurance companies do not have any restriction on their pricing rules. We provide conditions under which a linear equilibrium exists. We show that two different types of linear equilibria could exist: A first one in which insurance companies make zero expected profits, and a second one in which they make strictly positive expected profits. We also analyze the welfare properties of the linear equilibria. We show that they are not always second best Pareto optimal.
|Date of creation:||05 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00870113|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bisin, A. & Guaitoli, D., 1998.
"Moral Hazard and Non-Exclusive Contracts,"
98-24, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Alberto Bisin & Danilo Guaitoli, 1998. "Moral hazard and non-exclusive contracts," Economics Working Papers 345, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Bisin, Alberto & Guaitoli, Danilo, 1998. "Moral Hazard and Non-Exclusive Contracts," CEPR Discussion Papers 1987, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kahn, C.M. & Mookherjee, D., 1996.
"Competition and Incentives with Non-Exclusive Contracts,"
75, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Charles M. Kahn & Dilip Mookherjee, 1998. "Competition and Incentives with Nonexclusive Contracts," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(3), pages 443-465, Autumn.
- Charles M. Kahn & Dilip Mookherjee, 1996. "Competition and Incentives with Non-Exclusive Contracts," Papers 0075, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Arnott, Richard J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1988.
" The Basic Analytics of Moral Hazard,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(3), pages 383-413.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1976. "Equilibrium in Competitive Insurance Markets: An Essay on the Economics of Imperfect Information," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 630-49, November.
- Attar, Andrea & Chassagnon, Arnold, 2009.
"On moral hazard and nonexclusive contracts,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(9-10), pages 511-525, September.
- Richard Arnott & Joseph Stiglitz, 1991. "Equilibrium in Competitive Insurance Markets with Moral Hazard," NBER Working Papers 3588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pauly, Mark V, 1974. "Overinsurance and Public Provision of Insurance: The Roles of Moral Hazard and Adverse Selection," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 88(1), pages 44-62, February.
- Peters, Michael, 2001.
"Common Agency and the Revelation Principle,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(5), pages 1349-72, September.
- Laurence Ales, 2009.
"Adverse Selection and Non-exclusive Contracts,"
2009 Meeting Papers
854, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- David Martimort & Lars Stole, 2002.
"The Revelation and Delegation Principles in Common Agency Games,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1659-1673, July.
- David Martimort & Lars Stole, 2001. "The Revelation and Delegation Principles in Common Agency Games," CESifo Working Paper Series 575, CESifo Group Munich.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1975. "On moral hazard in general equilibrium theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 8-23, February.
- Christine A. Parlour & Uday Rajan, 2001. "Competition in Loan Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1311-1328, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00870113. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.