Linear Prices Equilibria and Nonexclusive Insurance Market
We consider a competitive insurance market in which agents can privately enter into multicontractual insurance relationships and undertake hidden actions. We study the existence of linear equilibria when insurance companies do not have any restriction on their pricing rules. We provide conditions under which a linear equilibrium exists. We show that two different types of linear equilibria could exist: A first one in which insurance companies make zero expected profits, and a second one in which they make strictly positive expected profits. We also analyze the welfare properties of the linear equilibria. We show that they are not always second best Pareto optimal.
|Date of creation:||05 Oct 2013|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00870113|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Bisin & Danilo Guaitoli, 2004.
"Moral Hazard and Nonexclusive Contracts,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 35(2), pages 306-328, Summer.
- Bisin, A. & Guaitoli, D., 1998. "Moral Hazard and Non-Exclusive Contracts," Working Papers 98-24, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Alberto Bisin & Danilo Guaitoli, 1998. "Moral hazard and non-exclusive contracts," Economics Working Papers 345, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Bisin, Alberto & Guaitoli, Danilo, 1998. "Moral Hazard and Non-Exclusive Contracts," CEPR Discussion Papers 1987, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Peters, Michael, 2001. "Common Agency and the Revelation Principle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(5), pages 1349-1372, September.
- Michael Peters, 1999. "Common Agency and the Revelation Principle," Working Papers peters-99-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- David Martimort & Lars Stole, 2002. "The Revelation and Delegation Principles in Common Agency Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1659-1673, July.
- David Martimort & Lars Stole, 2001. "The Revelation and Delegation Principles in Common Agency Games," CESifo Working Paper Series 575, CESifo Group Munich.
- Attar, Andrea & Chassagnon, Arnold, 2009. "On moral hazard and nonexclusive contracts," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(9-10), pages 511-525, September.
- Andrea Attar & Arnold Chassagnon, 2006. "On moral hazard and nonexclusive contracts," PSE Working Papers halshs-00589101, HAL.
- Andrea Attar & Arnold Chassagnon, 2009. "On moral hazard and nonexclusive contracts," Post-Print halshs-00754338, HAL.
- Charles M. Kahn & Dilip Mookherjee, 1998. "Competition and Incentives with Nonexclusive Contracts," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(3), pages 443-465, Autumn.
- Charles M. Kahn & Dilip Mookherjee, 1996. "Competition and Incentives with Non-Exclusive Contracts," Papers 0075, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Kahn, C.M. & Mookherjee, D., 1996. "Competition and Incentives with Non-Exclusive Contracts," Papers 75, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Laurence Ales, 2009. "Adverse Selection and Non-exclusive Contracts," 2009 Meeting Papers 854, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Laurence Ales & Pricila Maziero, 2009. "Adverse Selection and Non-Exclusive Contracts," GSIA Working Papers 2010-E61, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1975. "On moral hazard in general equilibrium theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 8-23, February.
- Arnott, Richard J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1988. " The Basic Analytics of Moral Hazard," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(3), pages 383-413.
- Richard J. Arnott & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1988. "The Basic Analytics of Moral Hazard," NBER Working Papers 2484, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christine A. Parlour & Uday Rajan, 2001. "Competition in Loan Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1311-1328, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00870113. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.