In this paper we consider a moral hazard problem, in which the agent after receiving his wage contract but before undertaking the costly effort can borrow on his future wage earnings. The game between the agent and potential lenders is modelled as an in.nite stochastic game with an exogenous stopping probability. We show that the principal cannot design a wage scheme that is robust to hedging by the agent. In particular, we show that, if the exogenous stopping probability is non zero, the principal's wage offer will be followed by several rounds of borrowing by the agent. This is compared to the recontracting-proofness equilibria which most of the literature has concentrated on, assuming that this stopping probability is zero. Furthermore, we show that the equilibrium of the model with a strictly positive stopping probability does not converge to the equilibrium of the model in which it is zero. We also find that the principal.s profit is lower, the maximum wage payment can be higher and effort is lower.
|Date of creation:||May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peters, Michael, 2001.
"Common Agency and the Revelation Principle,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(5), pages 1349-72, September.
- Eli Ofek & David Yermack, 2000. "Taking Stock: Equity-Based Compensation and the Evolution of Managerial Ownership," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1367-1384, 06.
- Kahn, C.M. & Mookherjee, D., 1996.
"Competition and Incentives with Non-Exclusive Contracts,"
75, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Charles M. Kahn & Dilip Mookherjee, 1998. "Competition and Incentives with Nonexclusive Contracts," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(3), pages 443-465, Autumn.
- Charles M. Kahn & Dilip Mookherjee, 1996. "Competition and Incentives with Non-Exclusive Contracts," Papers 0075, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Sanford J Grossman & Oliver D Hart, 2001.
"An Analysis of the Principal-Agent Problem,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
391749000000000339, David K. Levine.
- Sanford Grossman & Oliver Hart, . "An Analysis of the Principal-Agent Problem," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 15-80, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver, 1985.
"The Cost and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
70, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 691-719, August.
- Oliver Hart & Sanford Grossman, 1985. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Working papers 372, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Scholarly Articles 3450060, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bizer, David S & DeMarzo, Peter M, 1992. "Sequential Banking," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(1), pages 41-61, February.
- Bizer, David S. & DeMarzo, Peter M., 1999. "Optimal Incentive Contracts When Agents Can Save, Borrow, and Default," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 241-269, October.
- Bisin, A. & Guaitoli, D., 1998.
"Moral Hazard and Non-Exclusive Contracts,"
98-24, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Alberto Bisin & Danilo Guaitoli, 1998. "Moral hazard and non-exclusive contracts," Economics Working Papers 345, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Bisin, Alberto & Guaitoli, Danilo, 1998. "Moral Hazard and Non-Exclusive Contracts," CEPR Discussion Papers 1987, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Bisin & Piero Gottardi & Adriano A. Rampini, 2008.
"Managerial Hedging and Portfolio Monitoring,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 6(1), pages 158-209, 03.
- Piero Gottardi & Alberto Bisin & Adriano Rampini, 2007. "Managerial Hedging and Portfolio Monitoring," Working Papers 2007_24, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Alberto Bisin & Piero Gottardi & Adriano A. Rampini, 2004. "Managerial Hedging and Portfolio Monitoring," CESifo Working Paper Series 1322, CESifo Group Munich.
- Epstein, Larry G. & Peters, Michael, 1999.
"A Revelation Principle for Competing Mechanisms,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 119-160, September.
- Christine A. Parlour & Uday Rajan, 2001. "Competition in Loan Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1311-1328, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cam:camdae:0729. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jake Dyer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.