The impact of emissions-performance benchmarking on free allocations in EU ETS Phase 3
From Phase 3 (2013-20) of the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme carbon-intensive industrial emitters will receive free allocations based on harmonised, EU-wide benchmarks. This paper analyses and evaluates the impacts of these new rules on allocations to key energy-intensive sectors. It exploits an original dataset that combines recent data from the National Implementing Measures of 20 Member States with the Community Independent Transaction Log and ETS-installation NACE code data. The analysis reveals that free allocations to benchmarked sectors will be reduced significantly, though not excessively, in Phase 3. This reduction should both increase public revenues from carbon auctions and has the potential to enhance the economic efficiency of the carbon market. The analysis also shows that changes in allocation vary mostly across installations within, rather than across, countries. Lastly, the analysis finds evidence that the new rules will, as intended, reward installations with better emissions performance, and will improve harmonisation of free allocations in the EU ETS by reducing differences in allocation levels across countries with similar carbon intensities of production.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00809096|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ralf Martin & Mirabelle Mu?ls & Laure B. de Preux & Ulrich J. Wagner, 2014.
"Industry Compensation under Relocation Risk: A Firm-Level Analysis of the EU Emissions Trading Scheme,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 104(8), pages 2482-2508, August.
- Ralf Martin & Mirabelle Muûls & Ulrich J. Wagner & Laure B. de Preux, 2012. "Industry Compensation Under Relocation Risk: A Firm-Level Analysis of the EU Emissions Trading Scheme," CEP Discussion Papers dp1150, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ralf Martin & Mirabelle Muï¿½ls & Laure B. de Preux & Ulrich J. Wagner, 2012. "Industry compensation under relocation risk: a firm-level analysis of the EU Emissions Trading Scheme," GRI Working Papers 85, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Ralf Martin & Mirabelle Muûls & Laure B. de Preux & Ulrich J. Wagner, 2013. "Industry Compensation Under Relocation Risk: A Firm-Level Analysis of the EU Emissions Trading Scheme," NBER Working Papers 19097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ralf Martin & Mirabelle Muuls & Laure B. de Preux & Ulrich J. Wagner, 2014. "Industry compensation under relocation risk: a firm-level analysis of the EU emissions trading scheme," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 59312, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Pahle, Michael & Fan, Lin & Schill, Wolf-Peter, 2011.
"How emission certificate allocations distort fossil investments: The German example,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 1975-1987, April.
- Pahle, Michael & Fan, Lin & Schill, Wolf-Peter, 2011. "How Emission Certificate Allocations Distort Fossil Investments: The German Example," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 1975-1987.
- Michael Pahle & Lin Fan & Wolf-Peter Schill, 2011. "How Emission Certificate Allocations Distort Fossil Investments: The German Example," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1097, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ahman, Markus & Burtraw, Dallas & Kruger, Joseph & Zetterberg, Lars, 2007. "A Ten-Year Rule to guide the allocation of EU emission allowances," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 1718-1730, March.
- Georg Zachmann & Anta Ndoye & Jan Abrell, 2011.
"Assessing the impact of the EU ETS using firm level data,"
- Jan Abrell & Anta Ndoye Faye & Georg Zachmann, 2011. "Assessing the impact of the EU ETS using firm level data," Working Papers of BETA 2011-15, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Ellerman,A. Denny & Convery,Frank J. & de Perthuis,Christian, 2010. "Pricing Carbon," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521196475, Junio.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/10174 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00809096. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.