Certification of Origin as a Non-Tariff Barrier
This paper put forward the opinion that the certification of origin constitutes another type ofnon-tariff barrier. Indeed, certification of origin often combines both a quantity restriction anda sort of quality cost subsidy. We consider the canonical model of strategic trade policy,whereby two firms are located respectively in the home country and in a foreign country andare competing on the domestic market. In this framework, we show how certification canallow the domestic firm to position itself as a high quality producer. If, however, the certifiedfirm offers the low quality good, then consumers' surplus may be improved.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00242917|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krishna, Kala, 1990.
"Protection and the Product Line: Monopoly and Product Quality,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(1), pages 87-102, February.
- Kala Krishna, 1985. "Protection and the Product Line: Monopoly and Product Quality," NBER Working Papers 1537, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Herguera, Inigo & Kujal, Praveen & Petrakis, Emmanuel, 2000. "Quantity restrictions and endogenous quality choice," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(8), pages 1259-1277, December.
- Motta, Massimo, 1993. "Endogenous Quality Choice: Price vs. Quantity Competition," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 113-31, June.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:98:y:1983:i:4:p:659-79 is not listed on IDEAS
- Analysis, A Welfare & Das, Satya P. & Donnenfeld, Shabtai, 1987. "Trade policy and its impact on quality of imports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 77-95, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00242917. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.