Educational programs in rural Nepal: Peer communication and information spillovers
This paper studies how individuals exchange information with peers and how this information circulates and spreads through informal channels, focusing on the role of the community as a bridge for information flows. I concentrate on three rural villages in Nepal where an educational radio program about family planning and modern contraception methods is broadcasted. Women can access the information in different ways: they can personally listen to the radio program, they can speak with friends who listen to the radio program, or they can receive indirect information reported from third sources such as friends of their friends. I explicitly take into account the structure of the community network to show that also the information reported from third sources is a determinant of the women's adoption of modern contraception methods. I then address the issue of link formation and rule out the potential endogeneity of network, reconfirming that indirect exposure matters and personal links are an effective bridge for information flows.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00585981|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antoni Calvo-Armengol & Eleonora Patacchini & Yves Zenou, 2008.
"Peer Effects and Social Networks in Education,"
CReAM Discussion Paper Series
0814, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2008. "Peer Effects and Social Networks in Education," IZA Discussion Papers 3859, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2008. "Peer Effects and Social Networks in Education," CEPR Discussion Papers 7060, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2005.
"Peer Effects and Social Networks in Education and Crime,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5244, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Calvó-Armengol, Antoni & Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2005. "Peer Effects and Social Networks in Education and Crime," Working Paper Series 645, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Conley, Timothy G. & Topa, Giorgio, 2007. "Estimating dynamic local interactions models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 282-303, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:psewpa:halshs-00585981. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.