The weight of institutions on women's capabilities
The objective of this paper is to assess the links between institutions and quality of life, within Nussbaum's capability framework approach, exploring a relevant empirical issue: microfinance. Microfinance appears more and more as a tool for women's empowerment. Available results of impact studies call for circumspection; microfinance can free women from certain links of dependence. But microfinance can also forge new kinds of dependence and subordination, thereby strengthening the disparities between men and women, but also among women themselves.
|Date of creation:||09 Sep 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published - Presented, Promoting Women's Capabilities: Examining Nussbaum's Capabilities Approach, 2002, Cambridge, United Kingdom|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00421839/en/|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guerin, Isabelle, 2002. "Microfinance et autonomie féminine," ILO Working Papers 356565, International Labour Organization.
- Jonathan Morduch, 1999. "The Microfinance Promise," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1569-1614, December.
- Zeller, Manfred & Sharma, Manohar, 1998. "Rural finance and poverty alleviation," Food policy reports 8, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1990. "Peer Monitoring and Credit Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 351-66, September.
- Lapenu, Cécile & Zeller, Manfred, 2001.
"Distribution, growth, and performance of microfinance institutions in Africa, Asia, and Latin America,"
FCND discussion papers
114, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lapenu, Cécile & Zeller, Manfred, 2001. "Distribution, growth, and performance of microfinance institutions in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," FCND briefs 114, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lynn Bennett & Carlos E. Cuevas, 1996. "Sustainable banking with the poor," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 145-152.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00421839. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.