The weight of institutions on women's capabilities
The objective of this paper is to assess the links between institutions and quality of life, within Nussbaum's capability framework approach, exploring a relevant empirical issue: microfinance. Microfinance appears more and more as a tool for women's empowerment. Available results of impact studies call for circumspection; microfinance can free women from certain links of dependence. But microfinance can also forge new kinds of dependence and subordination, thereby strengthening the disparities between men and women, but also among women themselves.
|Date of creation:||09 Sep 2002|
|Publication status:||Published in Promoting Women's Capabilities: Examining Nussbaum's Capabilities Approach, Sep 2002, Cambridge, United Kingdom|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00421839|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zeller, Manfred & Sharma, Manohar, 1998. "Rural finance and poverty alleviation," Food policy reports 8, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lapenu, Cécile & Zeller, Manfred, 2001.
"Distribution, growth, and performance of microfinance institutions in Africa, Asia, and Latin America,"
114, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lapenu, Cécile & Zeller, Manfred, 2001. "Distribution, growth, and performance of microfinance institutions in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," FCND discussion papers 114, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jonathan Morduch, 1999. "The Microfinance Promise," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1569-1614, December.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1990. "Peer Monitoring and Credit Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 351-366, September.
- repec:ilo:ilowps:356565 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lynn Bennett & Carlos E. Cuevas, 1996. "Sustainable banking with the poor," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 145-152. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00421839. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.