The weight of institutions on women's capabilities
The objective of this paper is to assess the links between institutions and quality of life, within Nussbaum's capability framework approach, exploring a relevant empirical issue: microfinance. Microfinance appears more and more as a tool for women's empowerment. Available results of impact studies call for circumspection; microfinance can free women from certain links of dependence. But microfinance can also forge new kinds of dependence and subordination, thereby strengthening the disparities between men and women, but also among women themselves.
|Date of creation:||09 Sep 2002|
|Publication status:||Published in Promoting Women's Capabilities: Examining Nussbaum's Capabilities Approach, Sep 2002, Cambridge, United Kingdom|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00421839|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ilo:ilowps:356565 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1990. "Peer Monitoring and Credit Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 351-366, September.
- Lapenu, Cécile & Zeller, Manfred, 2001.
"Distribution, growth, and performance of microfinance institutions in Africa, Asia, and Latin America,"
FCND discussion papers
114, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lapenu, Cécile & Zeller, Manfred, 2001. "Distribution, growth, and performance of microfinance institutions in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," FCND briefs 114, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lynn Bennett & Carlos E. Cuevas, 1996. "Sustainable banking with the poor," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 145-152.
- Zeller, Manfred & Sharma, Manohar, 1998. "Rural finance and poverty alleviation," Food policy reports 8, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jonathan Morduch, 1999. "The Microfinance Promise," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1569-1614, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00421839. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.