Sustainable banking with the poor
This paper serves as an introduction to the collection of selected papers from the Conference on 'Finance Against Poverty', held at Reading, England, March 1995, sponsored by the University of Reading, the University of Manchester, the UK Overseas Development Administration, the Norwegian International Development Authority, and the World Bank. The papers in this collection represent only a small fraction of the more than 45 papers presented by scholars, practitioners and donor agencies at the Conference. They have been selected in an effort to give a sense of the richness and variety of the conference deliberations-and as expressing some of the key themes and concerns which emerged. In this introduction-as at the conference-the importance of building sustainable financial systems for poor men and women is emphasized. The main themes point to recognizing the heterogeneity of the poor and its implications for program and institutional design, evaluating the limitations imposed by the policy and regulatory environment, and solving the challenges posed by institution building.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 8 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lynn Bennett & Mike Goldberg & Pamela Hunte, 1996. "Ownership and sustainability: Lessons on group-based financial services from South Asia," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 271-288.
- Prabhu Ghate & Evelinda Ballon & Virginia Manalo, 1996. "Poverty alleviation and enterprise development: The need for a differentiated approach," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 163-178.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:8:y:1996:i:2:p:145-152. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.