What beyond oil and gas ? Russian trade specialisation in manufactures
The objective of the paper is to study Russia's pattern of specialisation in the manufactures trade since 1998. Russia's global trade balance for manufactures is rapidly deteriorating. However, the trade pattern in manufactures should be differentiated according to Russia's main trading partners: the European Union (EU), the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) and China. On the basis of trade indicator analysis (revealed comparative advantages and Grubel-Lloyd index of intra-industry trade), we show that Russia is globally disadvantaged in the manufactures trade vis-à-vis the EU and China, and advantaged in the trade with the within the CIS. Russia is managing to expand its manufactured exports to other CIS countries. However, it is gradually losing its role of main supplier of capital goods in the post-Soviet space.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Publication status:||Published in Post Communist Economies, 2009, 21 (1), pp.1-29|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00343419|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rudiger Ahrend, 2006.
"Russian Industrial Restructuring: Trends in Productivity, Competitiveness and Comparative Advantage,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 277-295.
- Rudiger Ahrend, 2004. "Russian Industrial Restructuring: Trends in Productivity, Competitiveness and Comparative Advantage," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 408, OECD Publishing.
- Rudiger Ahrend & William Tompson, 2005. "Fifteen Years of Economic Reform in Russia: What has been Achieved? What Remains to be Done?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 430, OECD Publishing.
- Algieri, Bernadina, 2004. "Trade specialisation patterns : the case of Russia," BOFIT Discussion Papers 19/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- R. Ahrend., 2006.
"How to Sustain Growth in a Resource Based Economy? The Main Concepts and their Application to the Russian Case,"
N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 7.
- Rudiger Ahrend, 2006. "How to Sustain Growth in a Resource Based Economy?: The Main Concepts and their Application to the Russian Case," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 478, OECD Publishing.
- Corden, W Max & Neary, J Peter, 1982. "Booming Sector and De-Industrialisation in a Small Open Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 825-848, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00343419. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.