Ordres contradictoires et coordination destructive : Le malaise iranien
Contradictory Orders and Destructive Coordination: The Iranian Disease The concept of 'mode of coordination' captures the way economy is embedded in social relationships and influences the integration of society through an 'instituted process.' Three main typical or ideal modes of coordination have been identified in the literature, namely the market, the bureaucratic and the ethical (reciprocity) modes of coordination (Polanyi 1944,  1968; Lindblom 1977; and Kornai, 1984, 1992). Our purpose is to introduce another type of coordination that we name 'destructive mode of coordination'. It is social organisation through the use of coercive means. This type of coordination has almost been entirely neglected in the literature, although it has existed since ancient times in different forms and varieties. A typical recent illustration is the social order under the Islamic Republic of Iran that will be the focus of the paper.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Publication status:||Published in Canadian Journal of Development Studies, 2010, 30 (3-4), pp.503-534|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00629134|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kornai, Janos, 1992. "The Socialist System: The Political Economy of Communism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287766, December.
- Mehrdad Vahabi, 2004. "The Political Economy of Destructive Power," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 3481.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- He, Yan & Lin, Hai & Wu, Chunchi & Dufrene, Uric B., 2009. "The 2000 presidential election and the information cost of sensitive versus non-sensitive S&P 500 stocks," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 54-86, February.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 1998. "On Custom in the Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292241, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00629134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.