Tacit collusion in a one-shot game of price competition with soft capacity constraints
This paper analyses price competition in the case of two firms operating under constant returns to scale with more than one production factor. Factors are chosen sequentially in a two-stage game generating a soft capacity constraint and implying a convex short term cost function in the second stage of the game. We show that tacit collusion is the only predictable result of the whole game i.e. the unique payoff-dominant pure strategy Nash equilibrium. Technically, this paper bridges the capacity constraint literature on price competition and that of the convex cost function.
|Date of creation:||12 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00709093v2|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James W. Friedman, 1971. "A Non-cooperative Equilibrium for Supergames," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(1), pages 1-12.
- Dan Kovenock & Raymond Deneckere & Tom Faith & Beth Allen, 2000.
"Capacity precommitment as a barrier to entry: A Bertrand-Edgeworth approach,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 15(3), pages 501-530.
- Allen, B. & Deneckere, R. & Faith, T. & Kovenock, D., 1994. "Capacity Precommitment as a Barrier to Entry: A Bertrand-Edgeworth Approach," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1062, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Allen, B. & Deneckere, R. & Faith, T. & Kovenock, D., 1994. "Capacity Precommitment as a Barrier to Entry: A Bertrand- Engeworth Approach," Papers 9483, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Beth Allen & Raymond Deneckere & Tom Faith & Dan Kovenock, 1995. "Capacity precommitment as a barrier to entry: a Bertrand-Edgeworth approach," Staff Report 187, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Beth Allen & Raymond Deneckere & Tom Faith & Dan Kovenock, 1994. "Capacity Precommitment as a Barrier to Entry:A Bertrand-Edgeworth Approach," Industrial Organization 9411002, EconWPA, revised 14 Nov 1994.
- Dixon, Huw, 1986. "The Cournot and Bertrand Outcomes as Equilibria in a Strategic Metagame," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(380a), pages 59-70, Supplemen.
- Steffen Hoernig, 2007. "Bertrand Games and Sharing Rules," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 31(3), pages 573-585, June.
- Prabal Roy Chowdhury, 2009.
"Bertrand competition with non-rigid capacity constraints,"
Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers
09-02, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Roy Chowdhury, Prabal, 2009. "Bertrand competition with non-rigid capacity constraints," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 55-58, April.
- Prabal, Roy Chowdhury, 2008. "Bertrand Competition with Non-rigid Capacity Constraints," MPRA Paper 9172, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Krishnendu Ghosh Dastidar, 2011. "Existence of Bertrand equilibrium revisited," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 7(4), pages 331-350, December.
- Marie-Laure Cabon-Dhersin & Nicolas Drouhin, 2010.
"The end of the Bertrand Paradox?,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
10079, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Marie-Laure Cabon-Dhersin & Nicolas Drouhin, 2010. "The end of the Bertrand Paradox ?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00542486, HAL.
- Switgard Feuerstein, 2005. "Collusion in Industrial Economics—A Survey," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 163-198, December.
- Bagh, Adib, 2010. "Pure strategy equilibria in Bertrand games with discontinuous demand and asymmetric tie-breaking rules," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 108(3), pages 277-279, September.
- Saporiti Alejandro & Coloma Germán, 2010. "Bertrand Competition in Markets with Fixed Costs," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-30, June.
- Dastidar, Krishnendu Ghosh, 1995. "On the Existence of Pure Strategy Bertrand Equilibrium," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 5(1), pages 19-32, January.
- Abreu, Dilip, 1986. "Extremal equilibria of oligopolistic supergames," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 191-225, June.
- Dastidar, Krishnendu Ghosh, 2011. "Bertrand equilibrium with subadditive costs," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 202-204, August.
- Hoernig, Steffen H., 2002. "Mixed Bertrand equilibria under decreasing returns to scale: an embarrassment of riches," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 359-362, February.
- Cooper, Russell, et al, 1990. "Selection Criteria in Coordination Games: Some Experimental Results," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(1), pages 218-33, March.
- Todd R. Kaplan & David Wettstein, 2000. "The possibility of mixed-strategy equilibria with constant-returns-to-scale technology under Bertrand competition," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 65-71.
- Abbink, Klaus & Brandts, Jordi, 2008. "24. Pricing in Bertrand competition with increasing marginal costs," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 1-31, May.
- Baye, Michael R. & Morgan, John, 1999. "A folk theorem for one-shot Bertrand games," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 59-65, October.
- Krishnendu Dastidar, 2001. "Collusive outcomes in price competition," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 73(1), pages 81-93, February.
- Jean-Pierre Benoit & Vijay Krishna, 1987. "Dynamic Duopoly: Prices and Quantities," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(1), pages 23-35.
- Novshek, William & Chowdhury, Prabal Roy, 2003. "Bertrand equilibria with entry: limit results," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 795-808, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:hal-00709093. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.