Some remarks on Internet-based territorial planning: the role of local public institutions on the diffusion of broadband access (In French)
This paper focuses on the market dynamics of broadband access and the implications on territorial planning. From the tools of the « economic geography of network », we study the supply conditions of internet-based infrastructures, taking into account the peculiar role played by local public institutions in this dynamics. We show that strategic interactions between suppliers, according to the geography and density of potential users and the nature of information flows in the demand side, engender a cumulative dynamics at the advantage of central regions relative to peripheral ones. We show also that the coming of local public institutions in the market dynamics of networks infrastructures can modify the interplay of strategic interactions, in that sense that we can observe a better diffusion from central regions to peripheral ones, but not a reduction of access inequality inside regions.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://gres.u-bordeaux4.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita & Hoernig, Steffen & Valletti, Tommaso, 2001.
"Universal Service and Entry: the Role of Uniform Pricing and Coverage Constraints,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2789, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Valletti, Tommaso M & Hoernig, Steffen & Barros, Pedro P, 2002. "Universal Service and Entry: The Role of Uniform Pricing and Coverage Constraints," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 169-90, March.
- THISSE, Jacques-François & VAN YPERSELE, Tanguy, .
"Métropoles et concurrence territoriale,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1425, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pau, L. -F., 2002. "The communications and information economy: issues, tariffs and economics research areas," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(9-10), pages 1651-1675, August.
- Michael L. Katz & Carl Shapiro, 1994. "Systems Competition and Network Effects," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 93-115, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grs:wpegrs:2005-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Frigant)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.