Towards a strategy for pro-poor growth in South-Eastern Europe
In order to qualify economic growth as “pro-poor”, at least per capita income-growth rates of the poor should be larger than the corresponding growth-rates of the non-poor resulting in a lower degree of distributional inequality. Measured in this sense, economic growth in South- Eastern Europe during the last 10-15 years was not pro-poor but pro-rich. Future growth can be changed towards the “pro-poor”-goal through a strategy with two “legs”: Stimulation of overall growth and specific programs to make economic growth “pro-poor”. Overall growth can be stimulated by good governance, macro-economic stability and the establishment of competitive markets. Specific programs should be focussed on sectors the poor work in (mainly agriculture), on regions the poor live in (mainly rural areas) and on the demand for factors the poor possess or are able to possess (labour). The paper discusses some elements of rural development, the possibilities of stimulating the demand for labour, and the necessary steps to improve the access of the poor to education and health-services. In addition to that, the problems of “pockets of poverty” are being discussed. A consistent strategy like this requires political decisiveness and administrative competence. It is hard to imagine that it can be materialized without giving the poor “voice” to influence the institutions and policies that affect their lives.
|Date of creation:||14 Jul 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0049-551-39 81 72
Fax: 0049-551-39 81 73
Web page: http://www.iai.wiwi.uni-goettingen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barro, Robert J, 1991.
"Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Robert J. Barro, 1989. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, R.J., 1989. "Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries," RCER Working Papers 201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2001.
"Growth is good for the poor,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2587, The World Bank.
- Alesina, Alberto & Perotti, Roberto, 1994. "The Political Economy of Growth: A Critical Survey of the Recent Literature," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 8(3), pages 351-71, September.
- World Bank, 2001. "Croatia : Economic Vulnerability and Welfare Study," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15698, The World Bank.
- Christina D. Romer & David Romer, 1999.
"Monetary policy and the well-being of the poor,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q I, pages 21-49.
- Christina D. Romer & David Romer, 1998. "Monetary policy and the well-being of the poor," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 159-201.
- Ravallion, Martin & Datt, Gaurav, 2002. "Why has economic growth been more pro-poor in some states of India than others?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 381-400, August.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2001.
"Growth, inequality, and poverty : looking beyond averages,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2558, The World Bank.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2001. "Growth, Inequality and Poverty: Looking Beyond Averages," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 1803-1815, November.
- Stephan Klasen, 2004.
"In Search of the Holy Grail: How to Achieve Pro-Poor Growth?,"
- Stephan Klasen, 2003. "In Search of The Holy Grail: How to Achieve Pro-Poor Growth ?," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 096, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- World Bank, 2003. "Moldova : Public Economic Management Review," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14834, The World Bank.
- Bardhan, Pranab, 1990. "Symposium on the State and Economic Development," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(3), pages 3-7, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:got:iaidps:114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Jaep)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.