An Investigation Into The Linkages Between Euro And Sterling Swap Spreads
This paper examines the causal relationship between euro and sterling swap spreads during the period January, 1999 to March, 2003. The absence of any correlation between changes in the two swap spreads would indicate that credit risk factors are country-specific. But euro swap spreads showed some correlation with the interest rate differentials between the two markets. Both spreads follow a GARCH process but sterling swap spreads reacted more intensely to market movements and were more volatile than their euro counterparts. There was evidence of mild volatility transmission from the sterling swap spreads to the euro swap spreads but the causality was one sided.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Adam Smith Building, Glasgow G12 8RT|
Phone: 0141 330 4618
Fax: 0141 330 4940
Web page: http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/business/research/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sun, Tong-sheng & Sundaresan, Suresh & Wang, Ching, 1993. "Interest rate swaps: An empirical investigation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 77-99, August.
- Mark Grinblatt, 2001.
"An Analytic Solution for Interest Rate Swap Spreads,"
International Review of Finance,
International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 2(3), pages 113-149.
- Grinblatt, Mark, 1995. "An Analytic Solution for Interest Rate Swap Spreads," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt9s13f3zx, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Mark Grinblatt, 2002. "An Analytic Solution for Interest Rate Swap Spreads," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm39, Yale School of Management.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Masulis, Ronald W & Ng, Victor, 1990. "Correlations in Price Changes and Volatility across International Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 281-307.
- Franklin R. Edward, 1999. "Hedge Funds and the Collapse of Long-Term Capital Management," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(2), pages 189-210, Spring.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1997. " An Econometric Model of the Term Structure of Interest-Rate Swap Yields," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1287-1321, September.
- Tse, Yiuman & Booth, G. Geoffrey, 1996. "Common volatility and volatility spillovers between U.S. and Eurodollar interest rates: Evidence from the futures market," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 299-312, August.
- Liu, Jun & Longstaff, Francis A. & Mandell, Ravit E., 2000.
"The Market Price of Credit Risk: An Empirical Analysis of Interest Rate Swap Spreads,"
University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management
qt0zw4f9w6, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Jun Liu & Francis A. Longstaff & Ravit E. Mandell, 2002. "The Market Price of Credit Risk: An Empirical Analysis of Interest Rate Swap Spreads," NBER Working Papers 8990, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gla:glaewp:2005_1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jeanette Findlay)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.