Preference Erosion: The case of Bangladesh - A SUR-EC-AR Gravity Model of Trade
This paper analyses the impact of preference erosion on Bangladesh’s clothing industry coming from both the ATC quotas phasing-out and the reduction on MFN tariffs under NAMA negotiations. First, it undertakes a numerical exercise to estimate the effects of tariffs reduction in the US and the EU on Bangladesh’s economic performance. Then it uses a SUR-EC-AR gravity model of trade to measure the effects of ATC quotas phasing out and NAMA negotiations on trade pattern. The results suggest that Bangladesh gains from importing countries’ tariffs reduction, independently of ATC implementation. Despite the fact that these results may underestimate the effects of quotas phasing out on T&C trade pattern, the model’s structure presents the advantage of eliminating the aggregation bias problem. It would be interesting to expand the econometric model to include other trade partners and new variables.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:||Aug 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 36, 1211 Geneva 21|
Phone: ++41 22 731 17 30
Fax: ++41 22 738 43 06
Web page: http://www.graduateinstitute.ch/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mary Amiti & John Romalis, 2007.
"Will the Doha Round Lead to Preference Erosion?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 54(2), pages 338-384, June.
- John Romalis & Mary Amiti, 2006. "Will the Doha Round Lead to Preference Erosion?," IMF Working Papers 06/10, International Monetary Fund.
- Amiti, Mary & Romalis, John, 2007. "Will the Doha Round Lead to Preference Erosion?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6372, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mary Amiti & John Romalis, 2007. "Will the Doha Round Lead to Preference Erosion?," NBER Working Papers 12971, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph Francois & Bernard Hoekman & Miriam Manchin, 2006.
"Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 20(2), pages 197-216.
- J. Francois & B. Hoekman & M. Manchin, 2005. "Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-073/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard & Manchin, Miriam, 2005. "Preference erosion and multilateral trade liberalization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3730, The World Bank.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard & Manchin, Miriam, 2005. "Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization," CEPR Discussion Papers 5153, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph Francois & B. Hoekman & M. Manchin, 2005. "Preference Erosion and Multilateral Trade Liberalization," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp87, IIIS.
- Hans P Lankes & Katerina Alexandraki, 2004. "The Impact of Preference Erosionon Middle-Income Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 04/169, International Monetary Fund.
- Douglas C. Lippoldt & Przemyslaw Kowalski, 2005. "Trade Preference Erosion: Potential Economic Impacts," OECD Trade Policy Papers 17, OECD Publishing.
- Baldwin, Richard E., 2006. "The euro's trade effects," Working Paper Series 594, European Central Bank.
- Joseph Francois & Will Martin & Vlad Manole, 2005.
"Choosing formulas for market access negotiations: efficiency and market access considerations,"
Chapters,in: Trade Policy Reforms and Development, chapter 5
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Manole, Vlad & Martin, Will & Francois, Joseph, 2005. "Choosing formulas for market access negotiation : efficiency and market access considerations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3474, The World Bank.
- Jörg MAYER, 2004. "Not Totally Naked: Textiles And Clothing Trade In A Quota Free Environment," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 176, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Antoine Bouët & Lionel Fontagné & Sébastien Jean, 2005. "Is Erosion of Tariff Preferences a Serious Concern?," Working Papers 2005-14, CEPII research center.
- Peter Egger, 2001. "SUR Estimation of Error Components Models With AR(1) Disturbances and Unobserved Endogenous Effects," WIFO Working Papers 171, WIFO.
- Peter Egger, 2002. "SUR Estimation of Error Components Models With AR(1) Disturbances and Unobserved Endogenous Effects," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 B6-3, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Jaya Krishnakumar, 2002. "A SUR-EC-AR System Gravity Model of Trade," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 B4-4, International Conferences on Panel Data. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gii:giihei:heiwp18-2007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dorina Dobre)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.