Female labor force participation and economic growth– re-examination of U-shaped curve
The paper contributes by providing new insights into the relationship between female labor force and economic growth in 162 countries over the period 1990-2012. We anticipate uncovering U-shaped impact of economic growth on female labor force. To examine the previous we deploy longitudinal data analysis assuming non-linearity between variables. Our main findings support the hypothesis on U-shaped relationship between female labor force participation and economic growth, however high cross-country variability on the field is evident.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +48 58 347-18-99
Fax: +48 58 347-18-61
Web page: http://www.zie.pg.gda.pl
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tsani, Stella & Paroussos, Leonidas & Fragiadakis, Costas & Charalambidis, Ioannis & Capros, Pantelis, 2013. "Female labour force participation and economic growth in the South Mediterranean countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 323-328.
- Mishra, Vinod & Smyth, Russell, 2010. "Female labor force participation and total fertility rates in the OECD: New evidence from panel cointegration and Granger causality testing," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 48-64, January.
- Tam, Henry, 2011. "U-shaped female labor participation with economic development: Some panel data evidence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 140-142, February.
- Isis Gaddis & Stephan Klasen, 2011.
"Economic Development, Structural Change and Women’s Labor Force Participation A Reexamination of the Feminization U Hypothesis,"
Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers
71, Courant Research Centre PEG, revised 25 Jul 2012.
- Isis Gaddis & Stephan Klasen, 2013. "Economic Development, Structural Change and Women’s Labor Force Participation A Reexamination of the Feminization U Hypothesis," Working Papers 1302, New School for Social Research, Department of Economics.
- Claudia Olivetti, 2013.
"The Female Labor Force and Long-Run Development: The American Experience in Comparative Perspective,"
in: Human Capital in History: The American Record, pages 161-197
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claudia Olivetti, 2013. "The Female Labor Force and Long-run Development: The American Experience in Comparative Perspective," NBER Working Papers 19131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ghazal Bayanpourtehrani & Kevin Sylwester, 2013. "Democracy and Female Labor Force Participation: An Empirical Examination," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 112(3), pages 749-762, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gdk:wpaper:21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wojciech Drapinski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.