The Dynamics of Chart Success in the UK Pre-Resorded Popular Music Industry
In this paper we investigate the dynamics of chart success in the UK pre-recorded popular music industry over the period 1980 to 1993 using British album chart listings. We find that the incidence of chart succedd is substantially skewed to the right, whether measured by total weeks spent per artist, average weeks spent per album, or the total number of albums listed per artist. We subsequently investigate possible determinants of the length of chart survival of albums in order to determine what may be driving the observed skewness. Our results indicate that the type of album, seasonal demand, and initial popularity play an important role in ensuring continued chart listing of an album.
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +353-1-283 0068
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MacDonald, Glenn M, 1988. "The Economics of Rising Stars," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 155-66, March.
- Andrew Burke, 1996.
"The dynamics of product differentiation in the British record industry,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 145-164, June.
- Andrew E. Burke, 1995. "The Dynamics of Product Differentiation in the British Record Industry," Economics Technical Papers 951, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Hamlen, William A, Jr, 1991. "Superstardom in Popular Music: Empirical Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 729-33, November.
- Chung, Kee H & Cox, Raymond A K, 1994. "A Stochastic Model of Superstardom: An Application of the Yule Distribution," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(4), pages 771-75, November.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:dublec:99/10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.